tips on separating a splatter platter from collection base?

I’m new to running a CLS and have a good handle on it. One thing that I’m struggling with is once I open to pour it’s near impossible to easily remove the platter from the collection base. I remove the clamps and generally just hold the platter with my feet and tilt the unit until it frees, but it’s less than ideal and can potentially result in spillage.

Initially I thought I had oil on my gaskets causing them to stick more, so I cleaned them on my last run and all the areas they touch, and still have the same troubles getting it open.

I recover to around 10psi, then put the collection back in cold to reduce the pressure to 0, then I open. By the time I’ve gotten the nuts off the clamps, pressure is around 2psi - so I know I don’t have added vac sucking everything together.

Any tips on better ways to break the seal on these tri clamp connections once the clamps are removed?

You want zero pressure as in 0 psi. Stainless steel bonking you in the face at 5 psi would hurt lol. Get a rubber mallet from hardware store and Jack stand

3 Likes

Make sure your using vitton gaskets and the surface and gasket are clean. Didn’t say what size it was but if it’s larger unit go to harbor freight and get a motorcycle stand.

1 Like

its a little guy, 6x2 I believe. I gave them another good cleaning, I’ll give it a go today and see how it improved.

If mines stuck I hold mine down with my feet and pull up on the lid and hit it with a rubber mallet. Couple hits and it pops off

4 Likes

sounds like a rubber mallet purchase is in my near future

yeah I hit it on the side with a rubber mallet

1 Like

another way is to insert something between the 2 and twist it (like a butter knife or screwdriver, paint scraper) but that can damage your gasket

1 Like

add a pour spout & be done with it…

edit:
@Killa12345 do you carry a 6" platter with a pour spout?
@Soxhlet; what would adding a 1/4" npt nipple to OP’s platter run them (sans shipping)?

1 Like

Not in stock but I can get anything pretty simply. Especially if my supplier made it. Drop shipped it can’t be more than 100 plus shipping

2 Likes

If they supply the part and ship it with return postage i would see charging 1/2 hour weld time and a $ .68 half coupling. call it $87 out the door. hit up sales@indofabsolutions.com to get the job scheduled.

7 Likes

That’s perfect @clouds. Takes @Soxhlet up on this. Can’t beat that price! This community is awesome

2 Likes

I use rubber mallet as well when spool gets stuck to my platter.