Time lapse terpene removal

This is an older set up I used for terpene removal. I have since gone to horizontal and am able to lower mantle temps a bit but mostly horizontal for me is easier to rig up and clean. I only collected terpenes here.

If you scrub frame by frame you will see the pressure at the start of the recording was at a high of about 23 microns once things began popping. As the collection vessel filled with terpene the pressure worked its way down to ¾ of one micron. Some head thermometer shots are seen. Note I kept having to keep pumping the mantle temp up. This is not necessary with a horizontal rig in my set up. I intended the thermometer in this configuration to be packing for fractionating. The thermometer is a ground glass joint immersion thermometer so near the bulb the glass flares for the joint. The passage between the thermometer at the narrowest point and the uptake tube is very small and the glass joint is a large thermal mass.

The pressure at less than one micron is such that all molecules tend to travel straight lines only. This means that the packing (thermometer) acts as a barrier to further gas passage when the pressure gets this low because the gas cannot “flow” around anything - only straight lines from the boiling puddle. The mean free path of the gas exceeds the distance between glass surfaces when vacuum is pulled this deep so molecules no longer bump into one another before they hit a glass surface. This is why the travel only straight and logically cannot flow around corners.

It works perfect to fraction just the terps and ensure cannabinoids stay behind, but I do not need fractionating power in deference to lower process temps. What the video shows is a bulb change and then a temperature ramp up until condensate of cannabinoid began to show on the thermometer bulb. At that point it will just reflux inside the bulb slowly.

I no longer employ an immersion thermometer of any type for refinement. I have learned for me the compound temp is not relevant but the glass temp on the outside at the boiling puddle line is. Internal immersion probes of any kind introduced a problem of heat sinking for me (and complexity with an added grease joint and fitting) that I avoid now.

3 Likes