Thinking about switching to Turpur

Since you guys bumped the thread I’ll give an update. I made the switch to Tupur and couldn’t be happier. I’m noticing it’s a lot more ph stable then sunshine #4 and gives a lot more even dry back too. One pro/con is you deff have to water a lot more with it but for me that was a pro. I’m in week three of flower with my first run of it but everything seems up to par with my previous run. Everything in veg has gone great. If anything the plants grow a lot faster in veg in tupur.

6 Likes

That sounds like a fun time lol

1 Like

Controlled environment only. Cockchella is for the party. We will grow the good stuff up north.

Wrong

umm maybe :sweat_smile: he has stated a few times on here but i feel wrong stating someone elses buis… if anyone could delete/move the comment id appreciate it.

@Killa12345 can you delete please - i think the comment we discused locations was actualyl in a locked thread for regulars… my mistake.

1 Like

I was just reminded the other day of the virtue of having properly built soil. There was time when I used very little additives because the soil, and breakdown of the parts created everything plant needed.
Granted I wasn’t growing what could be considered a seasonal plant, but I was taught specifically about how the breakdown affects the intake of whatever nutrients. It wasn’t until I began growing cannabis that all of these additives became more important.
I said all of that to say, that you should be able to provide everything needed in your soil, but my history isn’t so much in cannabis.

3 Likes

I just saw a living soil grow hit 2.5 lb/light. Living soil can work well.

I did 15% castings and a tablespoon of neem seed meal per pot this last round with salts on top. It was pretty loud starting week 3.

6 Likes

Fox farm cultivation nation grow green 70/30 13 a bag. They should ship fairly cheaply all over Michigan. 100/200 for a few pallets

2 Likes

That’s a fantastic deal. Horrocks in Battle Creek also sells soil at cost.

I switched it up to 55% coco, 30% rice hulls, 15% castings to get a slower dry down so I only have to feed twice a week because I’ve been so busy. The root balls are also great to mulch flower beds, which looks weird if using perlite.

3 Likes

Anyone using Tupur have issues with PH? Using house and garden Cocos A/B at around 5.4 but runoff coming out at 7.0. Might need a full flush and get runoff more consistent. Tupur pros do you recommend extra Calmag or anything to charge it or is it good to go out of the bag?

I used Tupur but my ph was perfect

I water at 6ph

5 Likes

I’ve never had an issue, it’s pre-charged and buffered out of the bag, which saves on labor.

Does your water source have a lot of calcium and magnesium carbonate in it?

1 Like

My tap is somewhat hard around 350+ so I have been using RO which comes out at 15. The Cocos line from H&G has extra Calcium etc for coco, maybe tupur doesn’t require more cal mag like other coco blends and the issue is stemming from this?

Is it buffered to sit around 6.0 ph? Wondering why it climbs so high if it’s buffered.

Looks like it might not be the Tupur, I ran a dripper straight into a solo cup and at the end of day the feed read 6.4 (starting was 5.4) Is it possible that biofilm or bacteria in the lines is causing a 1.0 drift and continual rising? Before this cycle I ran h2o2 through the lines to kill off any nasties, and I include H&G drip clean in every batch I mix. Clearly something in the lines is screwing me over.

Bacterial infection typically makes the pH go down like in aquariums. If your tap water is 350 ppm, I’m guessing it’s carbonates pulling the pH up.

Can you run a water softener into an RO?

Along with phosphoric acid, can you add citric acid as a weak acid to try to buffer the carbonates? You don’t want to do this if there is harmful bacteria, as it is a carbon source.

1 Like

Ok bacteria would help the situation so we can cross that out. I just learned the benefits of a softener before RO, so thanks for that one. I thought RO alone was enough since my water comes out around 15 ppm. I was using earth juice crystal down which is citric acid but I just made ph down with sulphuric acid and RO. It seems way more stable than the citric, my Rez has stayed wherever I set it which was never the case with citric.

I am doing 30 second shots which might not be long enough for the feed to go from rez to pots, maybe the pots only get whatever was sitting in the lines between shots, so the temp is rising and it has dwell time before reaching them. I ran the pump for 2 mins and collected from a dripper and it was .5 above the rez ph, did the same check after hours of sitting in the lines and it was 6.4 even after I lowered rez to 5.0 yesterday. Small setup with netafim drippers and cheapo rainbird tubing. I’m really pissing in the dark here.

1 Like

Sorry to hijack this thread yall… I’m just confused af. Rez at 4.8, water sits in tubing between shots, I collected from a dripper and it reads 6.3ph. I don’t get it. Anyone throw out ideas as to what’s ramping ph that much in 12 hours in tubing?

Is anyone setting their rez down around 4.0 ph for this kinda issue, is that not scary territory? I’d like it to hit the pots around 5.5 and then it would rise more, I’m just nervous about going too low in the rez

I wouldn’t mix a rez that low. What’s coming from your drippers should be very close to the rez. Are you sure you’re getting an accurate reading at the rez? Are you taking the reading while the rez is circulating? When’s the last time you calibrated your meter? Your lines shouldn’t be an issue if you cleaned them before the cycle and you’re running drip clean.

Try taking a shot glass and collect a sample from the rez while it’s circulating and another from the drippers. You can also try flushing the lines with RO and see if the pH from the drippers equalizes with the rez.

Run the whole schedule not just part, you’ll be amazed at the difference. If they could put it all in one bottle they would.

1 Like

What acid are you using?