theoretical psi rating

Hey guys, I need to buy a sight glass and was looking at this one from glacier tanks https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp-fittings-sps-sgpv-g600-008-sgpv-400.html

However, they rate their fittings max psi based on their insurance policy lol. So they say max psi is 15. They said the wall thickness is 3/8 inch or .375 inch. The spool is 6 inch triclamp with 8 inch height.

what is the actual theoretical max psi? @cyclopath @Soxhlet I plan on pressure testing first anyway.

My recovery lid has two of those and I’ve had the psi in that around 45-50 psi

1 Like

same company?

I’m not sure that would be a question for @TheGratefulPhil .
Depending on the quality/type of glass used they may fail at different pressures.Why not get something like this METAGLAS Tri-Clamp Sight Glass
I know its not a 6" window, but do you need a window that large?

no i dont need a 6 inch window but it needs to be on a 6 inch spool. im looking at changing the lid instead Hemispherical Tri Clamp Standard Lid

and sorry im not supporting bvv they hooked my homie up with a fucked “turn key system” thats why I need to change something. the bvv kit comes with one sight glass on the lid. how the fudge am i supposed to see into a single sight glass. In my experience I need 2, one for the flashlight the other for my eyes

2 Likes

get a lid with a 1.5 t/c ferrule on it and bolt the metaglass to it, it will be “hella strong”.

2 Likes

if you need something zapped let me know.

1 Like

Nah same design though lol

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/ARCHON-INDUSTRIES-12-1-4-L-Stainless-Steel-Clamp-491J09?breadcrumbCatId=26281&fc=MWP2IDP2PCP

Found that after a few searches—rated to 45 psi.

I will say, if a manufacturer suggests a certain pressure rating, it’s because they don’t believe they can safely advertise a higher number. If you want to be safe, the sight glass you posted isn’t what you want.

TBH, I’m having a hard time determining what sightglasses to use…as @N.B.OLER has shown on Instagram, borosilicate is liable to break. Plastics are out, because most are incompatible with butane (at least the ones they make sight glasses available in, that I can find).

I’d suggest finding a stainless tee, rated to a high pressure and fit it with a sight glass rated to a high pressure. Additionally, a flow sight like the one I’ve linked might be better.

Imagine shining a light and viewing through one sight glass.

2 Likes

The borosilicate short sight glasses are rated to 100psi.

My dry ice connect does static and hydro testing for the local county fire department. If you wanna break one before it’s on a system. I can probably make it happen.

5 Likes

I doubt the “wall” is 3/8". I can believe the actual glass is 3/8".

a 3/8 x 4" sight glass isn’t gonna take a whole lot of pressure. 50 psi is probably ok, but I’d want to destroy a couple before I bet my life on that.

the short glasses @Killa12345 mentioned are solid solution, although at 6" diameter they’re kind of pricey, and I’d be suspicious of a 100PSI rating on anything less than 9mm glass, or taller than 2".

adding a second sight glass to the lid is the right approach, but I’d suggest getting a professional to add another 1.5" ferule to your lid rather than bying a new lid.

if you can’t find someone local that is up for the task, ship it to @Indofab .

4 Likes

Website says rated 150F to 100psi.

They’re acrylic, which is compatible with hydrocarbons.

I’m going to call during business hours tomorrow and I’ll follow up on this comment.

3 Likes

I know this probably doesn’t help since I’m not giving you what it’s truly rated at… My Buddy pressurizes his solvent tank with compressed air and he has 2 of those on his machine. I’ve seen them hold at 80 pounds when pressures got high at times and had no issue.

Looks to be the same part you linked

yeah no.

that is in no way the same part as originally linked.

…unless your buddy is running 6" ball valves.

6" spool, 8" in length, 4" sight glass!

it does look to be the same style, but the pressure rating on a 1.5" diameter glass view port will be considerably higher than the rating on a 4" version of the same critter. (more than 6x the surface area)

hands up anyone who believes the 1000 PSI rating on this 4" sight glass found on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Megaior-Circular-Viewing-Sanitary-Stainless/dp/B06XFVKFCS

1 Like

what kinda glass do they use on the USS Enterprise?

1 Like

Transparent aluminum

2 Likes

Thats what I was gonna get instead of a lid but @Killa12345 said to get a lid.