The Modern Extractor - A Cannabis Extraction Podcast (show feed)

What’s up Future4200 community! I’ve spent many an hour on here over the years getting sucked down ALL the rabbit holes. First and foremost, thanks to Future and all the mods that put so much time into keeping this place a peaceful, interesting, and informative place to share our thoughts.
I recently started a podcast focused on the creation of concentrates. Season one is focused on ethanol extraction and post processing into distillate or isolate. Each episode digs deep into a particular stage in that process, and most have an industry expert guest on to speak with us about that stage. The shows are released in an order that follows the work flow of material through a lab. I looked for something like it to listen to, and when I didn’t find anything that got deep enough I decided to take advantage of this crazy covid lockdown we’re all in and produce what I was looking for. The show is for lab nerds by a lab nerd. So far I’ve had guests from Futurola, Delta, Scott Labs, and Trusteel. I’m really proud of it, it has been a lot of fun to make, and I’m excited to see where it goes from here. Please give it a listen and let me know what you think! The show is called The Modern Extractor. It comes out every Tuesday, and can be found anywhere you listen to podcasts. If there’s anything I know about the folks on Future4200, it’s that you aren’t shy to comment or to disagree, so please do. In this emerging industry we can all learn from each other and I look forward to the discussion :slight_smile:

Thanks,

-Jason-

Below is a link to the 90 second trailer.
As of this post there are 3 other episodes released in addition to the trailer. Check ‘em out!

46 Likes

Awesome! Love the trailer. Something to listen to drown out the vac pump.

12 Likes

Awesome welcome @The_Modern_Extractor!!! HNY thanks for lurking, and now joining in Jason!

Podcast looks sweet I’ll listen good luck keep it up!

6 Likes

Yeessssss… So looking forward to this podcast :heart:

:pray: thank you @The_Modern_Extractor

6 Likes

@The_Lone_Stiller Lol, I had literally written that I’d lurked around reading here for years, then edited it out. You nailed it. Hopefully this will make up for the lurk :slight_smile: Happy New Year! I have some great guests lined up that I’m reluctant to name before I get the interviews recorded, but I think we’re in for a good season! Thanks for the kind words.

7 Likes

@kay420 Lookin’ forward to the listens! As you follow along don’t hesitate to chime in about things you want to hear discussed. Thanks!

5 Likes

Hey guys, sorry for posting the podcast on many a thread. I’ve been working hard at it and I got a bit excited when I saw a bunch of people listening after this first post… Upon learning how it worked (bumping each old thread that I posted it to to the top) I can see how it felt spammy. My bad, note taken.

9 Likes

All good dude!

Happy to have you here!

4 Likes

Hey all,
New Episode out today! Maria Peterson from Scott Labs joined me and we went down the filtration rabbit hole. Learn how and why lenticular filters work, how to stage your filtration to save your lenticular modules, and why the big cbd operations use crossflow filters. (and why you probably shouldn’t.)
Thanks again for the support! May your liters be golden and pure! Follow the IG @The_Modern_Extractor (on IG too.) Here’s a link to the latest:

12 Likes

Hell yeah, good luck man, will be tuning in :v:

4 Likes

Very excited to check it out, thanks man!

4 Likes

Hey Guys,
I just released a new episode focusing on solvent recovery. Ray Van Lenten, Founder and CTO of Trusteel joins me to talk about falling film evaporators. We get deep into how they work, as well as his personal falling film SOPs and hacks that definitely aren’t in the owner’s manual. We go through it all… times, temps, pressures, & feed rates for falling film, and his decarb SOPs too! Here’s a link to the latest episode. Thanks for listening!

9 Likes

Thank you for creating this podcast. I was looking for something like this over a year ago and was amazed there was noting out there. Good work and keep em coming! :+1:

2 Likes

Hey All,
New episode just dropped this morning! Greg Arias, co-founder of Concentrated Science, Chemical engineer, and all around cannabis science master joined me to discuss DECARB. We get deep into the science of what is actually happening on a molecular level while decarbing, the difference between decarbing THC and CBD, and my SOPs that’ll set you up for a quick, efficient decarboxylation. Thanks for listening! Here’s a link to the latest episode:

6 Likes

Hey Fellow Future4200 Folks,
I just released a new episode this morning. It is all about wiped film distillation of cannabis oil. John Hart, founder of Chemtech Services (CTS) joins me to pick apart distillation theory and what is going on inside their rolled film distillation units. We talk about the advantages of multi stage WFEs, as well as vacuum system components and care. It was a great interview! Thanks for listening. Enjoy!

3 Likes

What’s up Future 4200,
I just released episode 08 of The Modern Extractor. This one is the one I’ve been waiting for, we’re finally making some distillate. We go through some great SOPs for terp strip and cannabinoid distillation on a wiped film distillation unit. Jay Horton, founder of Genovations, and canna-lab veteran joins me to help break it all down. Thanks for listening, and enjoy the show!

2 Likes

It’s a kick ass podcast! I really appreciate you putting all of this knowledge and work into it!

2 Likes

@CCoin Thanks man! It has been fun. Always nice to hear :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey fellow lab folks,
New episode just dropped this morning! Luke Van Trieste of BR Instrument joined me to discuss CBD Crystallization . We get deep into the equipment, solvents, SOPs, and science behind efficient crystallization. We discuss static, dynamic, and continuous flow crystallization. The Modern Extractor just wrapped Season 1, which followed material through an ethanol extraction and post processing lab. We started with plant material and took it all the way through to crystalline isolate. SOPs have been given for every stage of the process for both THC and CBD. The show has seen a great response, so after a short break, I’ll be back for Season 2 to tackle hydrocarbon extraction and post processing. I’m already talking with some great guests to join us along the way. Thanks for listening! The show can be found anywhere podcasts are heard. Here’s a link to the latest episode:

2 Likes

I like that you include a full transcript of the show on your website - I can read a hell of a lot faster than your guests can talk. There’s some good content here.

4 Likes