The Geometry & Design of Distillation Heads

Hi All,

I haven’t seen much discussion regarding different distillation head designs, packings, stage-type distillation, and the like.

From my time as a student, I remember the infinitesimal detail required to appropriately design an industrial-scale distillation column that was both effective and efficient. With cannabis it’s hard, because you’re dealing with a very complex mixture with many, MANY constituents.

My question is: what kind of distillation heads do you use, why do you use them and how can we begin to quantitatively determine the properties of cannabinoids mixtures in the context of the math that models distillation?

8 Likes

Short path in general
First pass without pakking
Second pass with packing
Some times 30 cm vigreax with glass indents
Some times hempel. Colom with rashig rings or copper scrubies

2 Likes

May I ask you what particular application case do you have for the columns?
I searched vigreaux but it is not so popular around here.
Do you have much loss in such a setup?

I am prob the only person here with true knowledge on this subject and I can tell you it’s because nobody else cares enough to do the r and d and find out these answers. People who sell counterfeit glass of mine don’t even know how it works.

A really good example is *** from ****** ************* in Vegas two+ years ago trying to pass off a counterfeit and horribly compiled ripp off short path Himself, and his team had no idea the geometric and design failures they were attempting to promote while making absurd claims. Plot twist - they ripped off the gen 1 patent almost verbatim but didn’t know there’s a third or fourth gen we make now bc the first gen patent was a failure in how it damaged molecules on Thier way out and while being recycled. Meaning the design was not to be used as first rendition. In fact that one design at the time was responsible for converting d9 to d10 in one pass just based on geometry and function issues. I was originally forced to pull and alter the device to not have issues with government organizations when the heat was on from taking legal market product into a illegal market while doing a conversion thereupon.

There’s a reason why oems take the time to create products and revise them for customers. There’s a reason why these companies don’t even try to understand what they are ripping off. They are morons.

9 Likes

So you have a d10 shortpath

4 Likes

No, stopped making it long time ago. It generated partial d8 and partial d10 without any acids or anything. This isn’t what customers want.

1 Like

Can you explain the mechanism

3 Likes

No but there is a patent Wich clearly shows it and if you can dissemble it you’ll figure it out. Why should I go online and just give the tech away, even if it was abandoned and modified to a better generation.

3 Likes

XD there’s a surprising number of patent holders here that you wouldn’t know were patent holders unless you researched and could point the two out.

I found @AlexSiegels d10 patent and didn’t know it was him till looking closer xD

Many patents aren’t on Google though. Which has aided my searching a ton.

XD give us a clue and I’ll look for it for fun.

2 Likes

Really happy i got to meet him this week and he really explained the purification of d10 and d8 to a layman…

wish i got to actually spend more time with him because he was able to draw me out diagrams and explain it pretty easy for someone with no chemistry background.

I should have my flashlight on tues and will begin playing with his pigment tracker to confirm my finding that hydrocarbon extracts without pigment suck and chlorophyll is needed. just a theory but now i have some toys to test it!

to bring everything in full circle… id be on the look out for @AlexSiegel stainless short paths which i have no part in… but appreciate what hes doing…

12 Likes

sweeet @Killa12345 cant wait for some findings! @AlexSiegel how much is the pigment tracker? You know id like one of ur spd’s too but im sure i cant afford one!

2 Likes

He showed me the stainless short path near a year ago. Definitely cool seeing stuff that’s normally glass be made stainless

4 Likes

I know. I gave him a Chinese quote to have them made a while ago but didn’t have the time to see the project to its fruition.

I’m sure he knows a little bit about short path head design.

2 Likes

Any one ever stuffed a wire basket with marbles in a reflux column?

It works really well for proofing, can’t imagine that would be useful for extraction. I usually just see 10-20 long tubes in a shotgun setup.

Tmi bro

9 Likes

can you still get those made?

1 Like

He is using one of my Chinese supplier directly. Sorta like @qma does. Just ask @AlexSiegel to get you one. He’s getting the BF made here in America.

Im just a fan watching others get their slice of the pie.

6 Likes

thanks @Killa12345! Happy holidays

1 Like

The columns are only used to see how much one can fraction of one from the other at the time the r and d was on cbn out of thc rich distillate and vice versa
Packed heads is to see if something that other wise has the same bp can be caught off before landing in the flask
Only pakking that made a difrance is molsieves 8 A Wich is a nightmare to find

Instant D8 is actually also possible with
Sulfonated ceramic beads but the tields fail
General consensus

3 Likes

Pigment tracker is $450 I have one or two left in this production run. Then it will be about a month and I’ll have 50 or so finished.

The stainless short path we can talk about a price over DM. The kit includes all the stainless and glass but no electronics

7 Likes