The future of spent biomass….is there a regenerative option?

Thanks for posting this and for contributing. On the milling/shredding side of things, we have been pushing farmers to properly dispose of their waste and even re-introduce back into their soil. This usually falls on deaf ears…

4 Likes

The future is 100% spent biomass as nobody is realizing the way to stay profitable is to be able to valorize *all of your product.

5 Likes

we dump all our bags into our mini excavator and dump the bucket into compost piles inbetween hay bales. turn once a week

1 Like

Here’s some ideas:

1. Pelletize for combustible fuel

2. Compost

3. Animal feed

4. Lignin extraction - this one is the most high tech and could be a huge thing. It’s a 1-2 year chemical engineering research project in itself.

1 Like

I have a pelletizer, bought a bunch of domains, best one was dank pellets. Com lol it fuckng sucked big donkey dick, it made bacon taste bad… like I couldn’t eat it and my employee kept eating it because he was afraid to tell me he didn’t like it. It tastes like you drank a solo cup everyone ashed into lol. I have used the pellets for feed supplement and given to horses that race and I got calls back but I own the domain heatingwithhemp.com and the pellets were best used for pellet stoves. If we adopt European energy regulations then pellet energy is classified as renewable energy. Once renewable energy of wood pellet suppliers get carbon credits then they will be rich like elon and how tesla was profitable for the last years, they will not make much money selling the energy but they will get carbon credits to sell and when it gets found out you can grow the same amount of energy in a acre in 1 year it takes 20 then all bets are off. There’s a lot of rich people who stand to lose of that’s the case though. But a real possibility.
I’ve used the pellets and they work well, with the residual ethanol in there it even gave a nice little controlled flame like a gas fireplace lol

8 Likes

I forgot the purpose regenerative and I plan on using labs biomass layered in the compost pile so it ferments and the hogs seek it while turning the compost

1 Like

Would it be possible to shape spent biomass into a pot that is compostable? Start the plant off in the hemp pot and than plant it into your garden.

5 Likes

interesting waste stream monetization from the Indian sugar industry

5 Likes

Don’t see why not, like the cow shit ones. Make a paste and a mold and let dry

1 Like

The lignin and cellulose can be separated from cow dung and used like wood particles. You could make OSB with a biopolymer binder (chitin, perhaps?) and some kind of concentrated compost as long as the sodium was removed.

With cannabis, after separating the bast fiber, the hurd can be fermented as a fertilizer. It also makes a great mushroom growing medium. Just set some outside in a wet spot and it comes alive with microbes.

1 Like

Wiper tails…

5 Likes

Dude, why does your house smell funny?

3 Likes

Funny? Nah, that’s just me, I work in the CBD mines

9 Likes

I wonder how much more humic acid you would capture if you went from pH 3 from the biomass ferment → 6-7 with something like calcium carbonate or potassium carbonate. This would skip the KOH step and you could tailor it as either a crude transition or flower additive.

I can “science” all day at work, but this is why I’m not allowed to “science” in the house anymore!

2 Likes

Somewhat related, I saw a company that makes flood barriers using recycled rockwool cubes. Think how many thousands of lbs goes to the dump from commercial grows.

1 Like

I just worry about micro-glass in your system a la microplastics from rockwool.

Grodan says “Smush it and throw it away” there is no recycling program.