The evolution of cannabinoid conversions

So, it looks like we’ve hit the point in cannabinoid research that people are making isomers that are 10-15x stronger than natural cannabinoids.

Didn’t we already do this with opium and it got bad? Poppy milk worked fine for thousands of years. Then we got opium, still ok. Now we’re up to fentanyl, carfentanyl, oxycontin, roxycotton. I grew up in Florida when it was the “pill mill” state and saw what these drugs with increased potency do to people en masse.

Can we discuss alternatives to untested isomers being created and doled out by people so impressed with their own work that no one is doing studies to ensure we’re not metabolizing them into carcinogens or some other awful long term outcome?

22 Likes

i was in college when the pill mills took off. I know a lot of people doing hard time because of it too.

I personally think all these isomers are pretty stupid. I really feel like its a way to get in cannabis that is not needed. Cannabis has been fine without these for 1000s of years.

The people trying to do these conversions arent usually the “real cannabis type” and more in it for the money than anything else.

16 Likes

The catalysts being used gor thc removal from hemp are scary as hell.

12 Likes

i think almost all thing that arent natural are scary as fuck… These catalyst arent the only scary thing…the people using them should be well trained ACCREDITED chemists. Not some dude that once cooked meth that thinks hes a chemist all of a sudden…lets not forget the DMT chemist either…LOL

I understand the chemist that when to school…learned some safety aspect. Then does these in a controlled envoirnment like a legal lab with lab cabinets and tools that will prevent someone from possibly dying.

But seeing some of the labs…people shouldnt be doing this shit in some grow tent lab inside there garage with there kid sleeping 2 doors down…just my opinion!

16 Likes

The only problem is, these guys with degrees aren’t perfect in their pursuits either.

The fiasco in the desert is a perfect example of that. I hope we can move away from just trusting these people just because they have degrees.

11 Likes

19 Likes

post so nice i had to log in here to like it twice

6 Likes

Ways up with your avatar?

Well…id love to see the resumes of that project. id love to see how many working on that project have Masters or PHDs in Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Or know one was overseeing the whole project. :man_shrugging:

i dont know…ive said this a million times before…i dont deserve to be in ANY Lab in the World, but somehow my advice is seeked out a lot. Im not saying this is a bad thing but there certainly needs to be some serious oversight!

4 Likes

Pretty sure all the scientists that intentionally gave people chlamydia had PhDs.

My point is that we need teams of people doing rigorous testing on these novel reactions and compounds. As opposed to: “That dude has 3 PhDs though, of course the drugs he made are safe.”

There’s multiple people even just here doing these types of reactions. Not including the IG chemists and big pharma mercenaries.

We need some moral oversight to ensure the public isn’t being used as ignorant Guinea pigs.

3 Likes

i only smoke 2 natural compounds.

THC and THC-A All that other stuff…im good… I enjoy my life and health

5 Likes

seemed fitting considering my name. Uber thick is the best example of tomfoolery i could think of

8 Likes

Completely agree, however, I don’t think it’s just “they’re in it for the money”. There is genuinely intellectual curiosity that comes with saying “hmm, what if CBNA existed… can I make that… what does it do?” People with a chemical background can’t help but wonder about things like that.

The problem is that as much as people hate big pharma here, pharma-style controlled trials are really the only way to evaluate that question. No number of PhDs can answer the questions “is it safe, and is it useful” – only experiment can.

Furthermore, there’s a legal risk too – that people will create some powerfully intoxicating hemp derived compound that’s unscheduled, and use the hemp bill to sell it in all 50 states. That could lead to unprecedented regulation of the industry and practically shut the whole thing down.

16 Likes

This is what I’m scared of.

3 Likes

Here’s what sparked me into this.

2 Likes

Yes, people selling CBD derived d8 does worry me – this could easily be sold to someone who was never intended to get it (under 21 year olds, for instance), and bam, the media will pounce and rip the industry apart. People aren’t thinking this through at all. This can only work in the short term; the powers that be won’t (and frankly shouldn’t) allow it.

8 Likes

I haven’t dealt with D8 before but my understanding from reading up on here was that most people say it doesn’t hit them as hard as D9. This guys claiming it’ll hit 10x as hard. Can someone that’s worked with/tried D8 before enlighten me on the comparison between them in terms of potency/effect?

1 Like

His reasoning is that it’s a (left handed?) isomer so there’s higher binding affinity at the ECS sites.

The weird thing is when I compared it to opioid isomers with increased potency, he said the comparison is invalid.

1 Like

I’ve tried d8 and what he’s saying is false. It’s weaker than d9 in psychoactive effect. However, doubtlessly some isomer will be produced at some point that is genuinely super potent.

4 Likes

Word on the street from a trusted source is cannabinoid conversions will soon be regulated and in order to do them legally you will have to have a license from an alphabet agency. (I dont know witch one; maybe FDA or DEA; or perhaps local government regulation)

Dont ask me how I know this. Time will tell if this ever actually goes into play.

In a year or two from now should be interesting to look at this post.

8 Likes