THC remediation- Hemp

I am using short path distillation in my processing of hemp products.

It is inevitable to concentrate the solution from crude to distillate going from the legal amounts of THC in the hemp flower to higher amounts in the distillate.

My distillate is now testing ‘hot’ at about 0.6-3% THC, when of course it legally needs to be <0.3% to ship.

I don’t want to use heat for remediation, does anyone have other methods to use to bring down the concentration of THC without compromising the other actives?

One other solution may be dilution in an oil or alcohol, but again, wouldn’t be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Chromatography or make isolate

7 Likes

This is just to say that there are methods. You can search for some clues on here. You should probably be getting someone who has done this before to come help you with a LEL chromatography method, a recrystallization and filtration method, or there are some fancy pieces of equipment out there you could use.

If you are just getting started in this industry (which appears to be the case) and you have just now noticed that there is too much THC in your HEMP distillate, you may be around 6 years too late, to get away with the “I didn’t know this would happen” defense.

And just in case you were wondering - it doesn’t just need to be <0.3% to ship, it always needs to be less than 0.3% THC on a dry weight basis. The whole intermediate step is a gray zone with the regulators and they would make your life hell depending on which state you are in.

You still need to destroy the THC - heat and light help with this, it will degrade into CBN.

I’m sure others will reply soon… and they may be more or less friendly.

Good luck with your adventure. There’s lots to learn here. The search bar is your friend. <3

6 Likes

Thank you for the “late to the game…”

I couldn’t find a nice way to say that.

So I skipped it…

However: Free (BUT OLD) Hemp Biomass-to-Isolate SOP (complete) using cryo EtOH, wiped film dist., with C7 (re)crystallization

5 Likes

I appreciate your kind & helpful response, I will do more research on this forum & online as well as search for someone in my area to help with a LEL chromatography method.

There’s absolutely no shortage of assholes on here, so I appreciate your response.

Have a good one.

2 Likes

There is some Medusa inspired trickery than might get the job done, but I don’t know that anyone who actually has that cat in a sack is willing to share yet.

8 Likes

Not saying you’re wrong but it’s a hell of a way to make your entrance. I’m sure you’re going to make a lot of friends over here.

5 Likes

I could be willing to share…for money

2 Likes

No, but that’s irrelevant because I currently know of the trick, but I don’t quite grok the magic.

I’ve chosen to keep it that way till the folks who figured it out get what they want out of it.

If I could provide what they need, I would, and we’d be off to the races.

I can’t, and they haven’t asked publicly here, so I’m not gonna out them.

At some point I’ll have to figure it out, because I can’t not.

(And why is there hash all over my phone again?!?!)

5 Likes

Uuuuuuuu bread crums!!

Edit: “the hash is there cause you multitask too much”

1 Like

It’s like folks deliberately avoid reading the (my/our) patent that was posted that describes exactly how to do this, or at least where to start.

1 Like

Sadly this statement makes sense on the forum nowadays s
Hope we al respond on the more friendly side of things :grin:

4 Likes

Do you have some keywords you could spoon me for the search bar?

1 Like

“Selective Aromatization Patent”

This is the patent application.
This is it posted to the forum.

7 Likes

How might OP (or anyone else interested) go about licensing this technique?

1 Like

@TheGratefulPhil have you read these?!

@eyeworm and anyone else involved…well done. I know how much work went into this, and this might be the most impressive thing I’ve ever seen on this forum.

2 Likes

I suppose the first step would be to just reach out and chat with us.

3 Likes

Google patents makes this easier to read

2 Likes

Crash it out and redissolve in a small amount of head fluid :man_shrugging:

:joy: Thank you :slight_smile: