Thc remediation carbonic acid

Ok a few days back @siosis asked about 40% distillate
Making me dive into coa s and made me realize that there seems to be a trend in isomerization of thc but NOT in cbd and minor cannabinoids
All these isomerization cases i had i have traced back to carbonic acid having to be the culprit
So i Now want to do some trails with
Carbonic acid wich is tougher than it seems for it s not an acid one can buy easy off the shelf
So my question is How does one make
Measerable amounts of this acid
Other than dunking dry ice in solvent
All my errors methanol was the solvent and exagerating amounts off dry ice where in the solvent
All coa s i reffure to are off already extracted biomass wich is void of thc 9 but some thc 8 pressent
All biomass was thc rich kief
And it almost all disapeared without affecting cbd or minors
Cbn numbers go high
@Photon_noir @Chemphox
@Krative @Ruwan
Maybe it s the singlet oxigen that gets created ?

2 Likes

Dry ice or liquid co2 and water/ethanol/methanol in a pressure vessel … careful of boom boom

2 Likes
1 Like

Carbonic acid is formed when CO2 gas, is injected into and dissolved in water. The problem with getting carbonic acid to any significant concentration is that the molecular bonds are so weak that it takes hardly anything to decompose back into gas and water.

1 Like

LOTS of pressure…

4 Likes

Correct but what could one do to rise the formation of carbonic acid
Would creating singlet oxigen by means of uv favor the creation ?
Pressure as How high ?
Would passing co2 gas treu the solution for hours on end favor this ?

Lots and lots of pressure. look into canned carbonated beverages. They put it in as a liquid.

2 Likes

Don’t allow the co2 to pass through, just compress the shit out of it till you have like 1 mole of co2 for every 2 moles of protic solvent up to a thousand or 5 thousand psi

*This would require specialized equipment, be safe

4 Likes

Rogue, I thought you already had a great remediation catalyst?

In any case, you can’t buy carbonic acid. It doesn’t exist in isolation. According to the table on wikipedia though, water will attain pH ~4 under a pure CO2 atmosphere at atmospheric pressure.

2 Likes

You would really have to find somenway to use an anhydrous form because it decomposes into water and co2. Maybe look at supercritical co2 methods

1 Like

Yes there is a catalyst wich works
But i do not recomend for crudes
All isomerization that i am reffuring to i. This tread happend at-78C at the first extraction making ita very interesting method

1 Like

NASA did an experiment 1991 and the researchers were able to successfully created solid H2CO3.

Here’s the pdf article.pdf (585.5 KB) quite a bit beyond me lol.

3 Likes

If it s beyond you i am not even gooing to open it :joy:

4 Likes

Solid carbonic acid is definitely the way to obtain pure carbonic acid, but keeping it carbonic acid will likely require pressures like supercritical co2 systems.

2 Likes

I think that’s what the researchers were dealing with. And you know NASA has giant bombs to work with lol.

2 Likes

Yes, that is interesting. I already know people here have discussed CBD loss with the dry ice in alcohol method though, so is it really that selective?

Even in that case, they didn’t produce a solid block of H2CO3. They created a film of water/dry ice blend that had detectable stable H2CO3 in it (at very low concentration)

1 Like

It was deffenatly that selective on un heated extracts cbd unschath as well as the minors
I am mostly interested in thc so i never looked with a cbd eye to these coa s
And ar those times that i read them i was mostly pissed loosing my thc
But Now looking with a clear mind it s very obvious

1 Like

If my hunch is right this could be done in line wich would be a killer

1 Like

@ExTek90. What s your experience with carbonic acid isomerization of unheated extracts ?