THC Distillate Pricing 🤮

Alright, I have this conundrum where I hope the community can shed some light on :thinking:. Why is distillate valued so much less than say, :sunflower: flowers, :zap: shatters, :cheese: crumbles, shit even bubble bubbles hash? It takes so much to get to that ultimate final superior product. I would assume it’s value should be off the charts, astronomical.

For example:

To create Bubble hash, ice wash, micron filtered. Flower, grow that shit. Shatters/crumbles, one only needs to run material through a closed loop. Perhaps some oven time.

To create Distillate requires, a wash, through ethanol, Co2 or hydrocarbon closed loop. Then further refinement is needed to remove impurities, :cold_face: winterization. Afterwards, you’ll still need to spend time on a rotovap/falling film. And the you’ll still need to short path/film-wipe, :v: twice if the crude wasn’t properly done.

Your 2 cents, I feel like I’m getting undercut even though our final product is basically cat-3. Also we started this game when, liters 10k :exploding_head:.

I’m speaking about THC, not CBD, though I’ve witness a huge spike drop in that market.

Is this a result of more people in the industry? The vape crisis? That son of bitch who’s just like to undercut. Enlighten us. :pray:

2 Likes

Because disty can be made w garbage.

7 Likes

And the vape crisis for sure. But that’s more black market

3 Likes

Sure it can be made with garbage, BUT you can get a +85%thc result from disty.

3 Likes

Because mex can bring it over in volume now and every other market participant wanted a slice so supply and demand.

5 Likes

It’s the difference between consumer-perceived value vs. cost to produce. Just because it costs more to produce doesn’t mean consumers will always value it that way. There is a perception that disty in some parts of the market is akin to turd polishing. So that’s why it’s “perceived” to have less value in those markets. Is it more potent, heck yeah! But sometimes that doesn’t matter quite honestly. If consumers really dig some super tasty shatter, wax or whatever more they’ll go for that. Don’t underestimate the power of the palate!

3 Likes

Dispo bought carts also FAIL. Please stop throwing BM under the fn bus!

2 Likes

Ok well then expiration date. Bomb extract and material has an expiration date and the last stop is disty. Making it a last case resort that stays good for a long time. Creating a supply and demand case

1 Like

It’s not worth much less than mid quality bho.
The reason the price is so low is you can make 50l a day. I don’t think anyone’s making 50000 grams of good extracts a day.

3 Likes

My two biggest contacts in the legal market say their car sales have dropped 10and 20 percent. Most Bm sales have dropped 80 percent. Results may vary

2 Likes

When i started it was 18a g and no one had lots of liters. Its gotten worse every yrs since harbor side

1 Like

The best way I have to compare it is fast food compared to fine dining. Sure the fast food meal at 7 bucks will give you as many calories as a high end meal that cost a hundred a plate. But how much did the consumer enjoy the high end meal compared to the fast food.

3 Likes

It takes so much to get to that ultimate final superior product.

I disagree. On the contrary it’s very easy to make and anyone with next to no knowledge can make it. Also the equipment to make it isn’t that high. You can get a Panda spinner for the extraction, then hit Alibaba for a 5L shortpath and a 10L roto freezer and buchner funnel. Then you hit Ebay and get a used Edwards EM28. The entire set up will be under 5k. And if you go heptane mixed ethy, you can get a 55 gallon drum for $700. That is going to last you forever. Combine with the fact that you can use ANY biomass. Your crap under the sink? Good to go. The stuff that’s starting to mold? Good to go(not what I do, but this is what a giant chunk of the people making disty do).

Also the SOP to run everything is easy. You don’t even have to be a GLG member to hit the search bar in the upper right corner and get the all the SOP’s on how to run the SPD, how to winterize, how to extract with Panda, and how to run your roto. Combine with the fact that running the SPD in itself is easy. You set a temp and can walk away. I know tons of cats here in cali who do just exactly what I described and make liters in their garage as side cash. I play Xbox with some of these cats and can sometimes hear their vacuum pumps running in the background in the mic. A 5L SPD might not be able to produce that much, but when you got a shit ton of people doing this in their garage it adds up. Then of course you got the serious players who have a fully scaled lab with a big ass centrifuge, wiper, falling film and all that. The end result is serious over saturation.

…that and the vape scare

7 Likes

Distillate is just THC if nothing else is added. I like a product with more active ingredients than just THC.

3 Likes

My experiences have always favored the entourage effect over distillate/isolate.

4 Likes

It’s a supply and demand issue imo. First of all those other extracts can only be made well if the starting material was good. So there’s a supply limit on the feedstock. Secondly making BHO is slow for the most part compared to ethanol extraction. So that further constricts supply.

4 Likes

For the same reason vodka can be cheaper than wine

9 Likes

Great point

1 Like

We are switching our game over from disty to diamonds. Better products and better yields.

No additives either for flavor.

Innovate or go extinct like Blockbuster. Disty carts and syringes are getting harder and harder to sell.

3 Likes

At least where I’m at there is a definite decline in demand for products the require inhalation. Edibles seem to be the new craze and places can’t get enough to keep them in stock.

Some people are getting smart and buying raw syringes to make their own at home.

Even with vape cartridges on the decline, distillate is seeing a resurgence as current users move away inhaling and new users become intrigued by the easy, predictable and non cannabis tasting edibles.

3 Likes