THC-a extraction from bho shatter

I am wanting to learn how to make thc-a I am going to attempt to try LLE first but was wondering about what solvents to use. I see hexane and dmc are mentioned I want to avoid hexane but was wondering about dmc since I’ve read its polar and hexane is non polar so how are they interchangeable.

have you read through the other threads in the THCa Crystallization section?

https://future4200.com/c/hash-and-stuff/thca-crystallization

“How are they interchangeable?” Perhaps you should think about it differently…

What are the properties you need from your solvent to achieve your goal?

What do you have against hexane? Why is dichloromethane the next place you go?

1 Like

I’ve read a few threads just trying to piece the information together I’m finding. I was wondering how they were interchangeable because I thought the hexane was use to capture the thca out of the other products now I’m starting to wonder if I have got that wrong.

hexane is a nonpolar solvent, it dosent like to mix with water. If you are performing a liquid liquid extraction you need a solvent that won’t form a solution with the aqueous phase. The key in understanding the thca extraction is PH determines a molecules solubility in a solvent system
.Henderson–Hasselbalch equation - Wikipedia

4 Likes

Oh so thca is soluble in water essentially.

Best help ever… #OnlyTheStrongSaucetek

Do a redissolve, should be fairly easy from there

1 Like

at the right pH. yes.

generally? no.

To perform a liquid/liquid extraction, you need your solvent to have two major properties.

1. it needs to dissolve your target, and hold LOTS of it in solution.
  2. it needs to be immiscible (not mix) with the other liquid you’re using (usually water in this usage).
2 Likes

It becomes more soluble at a high ph in water and less soluble at a low ph. This difference in solubility allows the seporation. The solubility is controlled through ph.

What do you mean a redissolve? I’m reading that thread now and haven’t seen it mentioned

Take solvent cryo cold to jar ,add shatter,wax,honey, whatever…REdissolve then start the cryo crash step as ur step 1

Open spraying any solvent is dangerous.

But so is jarring butane/propane blend for diamonds

1 Like

So I tried it and accidentally got the ph way low and this orange kind of see through stuff instantly formed. I continued with the extraction as regular but have boiling off hexane in oven I didn’t notice any crystal forum. Was it because I got the ph to low ?

So I tried it and accidentally got the ph way low and this orange kind of see through stuff instantly formed. I continued with the extraction as regular but have boiling off hexane in oven I didn’t notice any crystal forum. Was it because I got the ph to low

Did you perfom a liquid liquid extraction?
first resin is mixed with a nonpolar solvent, then it is added to a sep funnel with a base h20 solution. The thca is extracted in the aqueous phase, then the ph of the aqueous phase is reversed. Thca is now picked up with a nonpolar solvent, the solvent is evaporated to dryness, you may recrystalize to increase purity. Long exposures to acids and bases can drive the decarboxilation reaction. This could be the clumps you are seeing.

1 Like

So I was able to try this one but this is what happened.

Dissolved product in hexane

Brought ph of water to 12.5( was to hesitant to try and make perfect ph13 water next time I’ll get it over 13)

Put hexane product in sep funnel and slowly added water

Waited for emulsion later then separated off

Now this is where I think I messed up

I was dripping mutatric acid into water to lower ph and it was going really slow around 7 so I added a bunch of MA and when I did that this thick orangish substance instantly formed on the bottom and my stirer and when I checked the ph it was 1.

I continued the process above but as I’m drying the hexane I’m just left with a brown goo and no crystals

Also the ph water was a yellowish and turned to a cloudy white as I lowered the ph

ph at that point should have been 4-7. Titrate the solution to the correct ph, try to re extract it with hexanes. I hope y’all are purifying your acids, if they aren’t reagent or better grades.

2 Likes

Yea next time I am going to try and get it between 4-7 ph and what do you mean titrate the ph? Measure the exact amount of acid needed to change the ph to optimal ph?

Also do you think the reason I didn’t see any crystals is because i got the ph to low

no, correct the ph, re-attempt! Your extract may need further purification till you actually see crystals if it is really dirty. Did you dewax this prior?