Testing psilocybin potency

because it has too much charge to have any appreciable retention in c18 reversed phase silica. you won’t get baseline resolution… that’s why for charged species, ion pairing reagent is required if wanting to do reversed phase analysis

I recommend this medical journal article on @unboundmedicine PRIME PubMed | Qualitative and quantitative determinations of hallucinogenic components of psilocybe mushrooms by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography #pubmed #OldieButGoodie

As usual and for any LC method, the mobile phase is as important as the stationary phase.

Yes and a component analyst should be able to look at a molecule’s structure, predict where the regions of electron density are (or aren’t) and make decisions about appropriate stationary and mobile phase.

From a very recent publication it seems like a C18 column works just fine in conjunction with the mobile phases being 10 mM ammonium formate and 1‰ formic acid in water or methanol, respectively.

https://doi.org/10.1002/dta.2950

4 Likes

Since it s heat sensitive I doubt GC will cut it
But intrigued to hear the answer as well :+1:

1 Like

Maybe I am missing something, but I did not see one chromatogram in that paper you posted. Without a chromatogram, hard to tell if the compounds are properly resolved (separated), and if they aren’t resolved who knows what kinda manual-integration fuckery they are employing. To say it “works” with incomplete data is a bit presumptuous (is the article even peer reviewed??)

EDIT: This information from Restek describes using RP-LC in conjunction with a derivitization step because psilocybin is highly polar

1 Like

i like these talks.

6 Likes

For an analyte to be amenable to analysis by GC it needs to exhibit appreciable volatility and preferably, lack functional groups that may interact too strongly with the GC column, potentially ruining it.

GC is particularly well-suited for non-acidic cannabinoids and your typical terpenoids. And it is essentially devoid of moving parts. You can basically travel mountain roads with a GC in the back of your van and test flower.

A major benefit of reversed-phase HPLC is that it is relatively sturdy in that accidental contamination of the column can generally be cleaned out.

2 Likes

what classifies for this. would psilocin be a better candidate?

That is because you didn’t bother to look up the Supplementary Information.

If anything is presumptuous it is your assumption that the article may not be peer reviewed.

In any event, the use of reversed phase HPLC for the analysis/quantitation of psilocybe alkaloids most likely predates your birth and furthermore, way more polar analytes than psilocybin type (zwitterionic) alkaloids are routinely quantified by reversed phase HPLC.

I don’t blame Restek for trying to sell you a derivatization kit.

1 Like

Psilocin is a better candidate for GC but I’d still go with LC. Hold my beer while I try to find out…

5 Likes

Is reading comprehension a challenge for you?
I asked if it was peer reviewed, to which you assumed I claimed it wasn’t.

Wow, you are full of assumptions.

Yes, there are reports of forensic use of GC in determining presence of psilocin by urinalysis.

2 Likes

Yea I have the PDF of the paper and have found no such section

Nada

Typically, nowadays publishers of peer reviewed scientific journals publish Supplementary Information separately and only accessible online.

https://analyticalsciencejournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/action/downloadSupplement?doi=10.1002%2Fdta.2950&file=dta2950-sup-0001-Figure+and+Table_S1.docx

1 Like

Inclusion of the word even would cause most people to infer that the person opting for that exact wording is casting pretty strong doubt as to the validity of the question’s underlying premise.

Especially when the person uses two question marks.

2 Likes

https://www.caymanchem.com/product/15695/psilocybin-(exempt-preparation)

4 Likes

And from that you can make your own “standard”.

2 Likes