Testing lab cost

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to setup a testing lab? As far as equipment, standards, and anything else. Not including building, build out, etc. Just how much would the equipment cost to do full panel testing

6 Likes

I like where your head’s at Mr.AZ
I’m curious what a turn key consists of

Prob can score some equipment cheap if you scour through labs going out of business in states that opened 2+ years ago lol. A lot of fly by night labs over the years funded by Chad’s that heard they could get rich hiring nerds to test gummies and flower and accidentally boost THC content numbers

6 Likes

I’ve actually come across a TON of testing platforms from here: Government Surplus Auctions - govdeals.com
You can find the stuff used relatively cheap…
Edit: I saw Shizmado (or whatever the fuck you call it) go for less than $500! The only real issue is that you have to be there to collect palletize, and ship. They may work with you there, but it’s plainly stated that the winner of the auction has to deal with everything from the point of sale.

5 Likes

Depends on what you buy, but new instrumentation would run you $650k to $1mm+ depending on brand and type.

Then you have service contracts, scientists, gases, electricity, solvents, other consumables, and so on.

15 Likes

These numbers are accurate based upon what I’ve been looking up recently. Brand and run times of equipment varies the price by a lot… the older equipment is much cheaper but run times of doing certain tests increases dramatically. :man_shrugging: I’m no expert this is all based on the 100 different spec sheets I’ve gotten in the last month.

2 Likes

That’s what I was wanting, thank you. So, upwards of a mil. And that’s also just one machine per process, correct? If one takes 3 hours to do said task and they need 15-20 done in a day. They could potentially be buying 5 or more $150k machines, or more.

4 Likes

I think it would be a bitching lab! How many labs are there that have been run, or at least founded by an extractionist? It might bring a whole different dynamic to the lab/processes…

1 Like

Yes, but multiple tests are run on each instrument. Scaling up, opportunity costs, and time all start coming into play quite quickly. Experience comes at a cost, too. Don’t let people fool you into thinking they can follow an SOP and achieve high quality analytics. The data should be used to improve other procedures, but you’re limited by your team’s ability more than an instrument’s capability.

5 Likes

I would say $250K if you want to do potency, residual solvents, terpenes, mycotoxins, microbiological, heavy metals and pesticides. You’ll need an HPLC, GC, ICP-MS, LC-MS-MS, VICAM Fluoremeter and I would go with the kits for microbio. Those are for refurbished systems, which is what I would recommend.

1 Like

@anon6488101