Temp probe for slurry?

Can anybody recommend a temp probe to use in a iso slurry for recovery?
Im getting tired of the ir temp gun

3 Likes

One that can do the job. I’m looking for a thermocouple reader for my recovery system

2 Likes

3 Likes

Type “T” thermocouples are commonly used for low temperature measurement

4 Likes

I saw something at harbor freight. Next to the ir temp guns. For hvac I think. Go’s down to -200 something F and up to 1500 something. I should have grabbed it. I’ll at least snap a pic for y’all when I gat back there.

2 Likes

Didn’t buy it cause it’s $50 and I needed material to build a tree house.
Anyone else use one of these or have any insights?

3 Likes

Thats perfect it even has dual inputs which i need.
Now the question is can these probes be dunked in iso?

It looks like it accepts whatever thermocoupler you need. so if the one provided doesnt allow for an ido bath another one could be bought that does.

1 Like

I bought this unit last night. Thank you for the recommendation

2 Likes

Honestly, @cyclopath and I have used BBQ and oven thermometers and had them soaking in iso and CDA-12A with zero short term issues and relatively accurate readings. The one we used the most had 4 separate thermocouples designed to be stuck in meat and left for a few hours. I’m pretty sure it was picked up at a second hand store, and aside from my senses, it was the best indicator or how the processes were running.

This isn’t to say that there aren’t superior options (quite possibly all listed above) that will greatly outperform a secondhand bbq tool, but if you’re in a pinch and need something quick, I can attest that they work well. We’ve tried more than a few over the years.

The last one I picked up had six probes and a Bluetooth app that went with it.

$36 new. The app was worthless, but 6 temp probes on the still were very helpful.

Cooling water in/out, ambient, exit air from radiator (air cooling the recirculated cooling water), head, and boiler temp.

But I’ve also used 4 probe sets purchased for $5 at the thrift store.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bluetooth+thermometer

@Beaker has a write up on thermocouples you should read if you’re at all concerned about safety. I would not use bare thermocouples in butane, but my understanding is they are considered intrinsically safe due to the voltages involved.

edit: Omega says I’m wrong. because the recorder/reader might turn out to be homicidal…

A thermocouple is classified as a simple device. It will not create or store enough energy to ignite any mixture of volatile gases. If the energy level of a typical thermocouple circuit were plotted on the ignition curve in Figure 4, it would not be close to the ignition levels of the most volatile gases in Group A.

Is the thermocouple which is installed in a hazardous area (Figure 5) intrinsically safe?

The answer is no, because a fault could occur on the recorder which could cause excess energy to reach the hazardous area…

2 Likes

Often the unit can measure these temps but several probes are used to get into the ranges
So check for that
Few probes (none actually ) I have found that go well in such wide range

1 Like