Stored Ethanol Extracted Tincture Degradation

I am contemplating running some biomass thru our ethanol extractor and storing in a freezer until we get our FFE in place.
Is this a bad idea?
Will it degrade?
Any ideas on the best temperature to store it at?
How long could I store it for?

1 Like

how much biomass? how long till your evaporator comes in.
got a rotovap? you’ll need one to finish after the FFE.

in 15 gal beer kegs at -20C it should be good for years imo.

although the fire marshal probably won’t be happy if he discovers you’ve got 12 $100 craigslist chest freezers that each have 45gal of high test in them :wink:

at 80% fill and rm temp they should be good for several weeks. especially if you put nitrogen in the head space.

3 Likes

I have a small jar with 75g crude (80% filled) and vacuumed sealed sitting for at least 2 months. Worth keeping?

Sorry to derail a bit. Just dont want to add to new fresh crude.

1 Like

So I would need a Rotovap after using a Tru Steel or Colorado Extractions ethanol recovery evaporator?

falling film can totally purge solvent… rotovap is obsolete for anything but small science. *edit - why is this big and bold?

thca stores well in cold solvent for months.

4 Likes

I thought u dont use ethanol lol

1 Like

Haven’t used either. Have a trusteel unit next to the BOCK I’m rebuilding. My understanding is you’ll need a rotovap (or some other solution) to get the last 10%.

Think about where the fully purged extract would be if you pulled all the solvent in a falling film…

I think you can pump the oil with a gear pump to flow through ffe another time to get residuals.

You would have to maintain heat in the collection vessel to deal with viscosity

I believe Colorado Extraction Systems told me their spray vap would remove down to 400ppm.

I should have my own data on the subject shortly.
Not needing a rotovap to finish would be great.
I’ll believe it once I’ve seen it.

I would be more than happy to be wrong on this one…but I’m easy like that.
wrong == learned something == a good thing! :wink:

400ppm is better than I usually see from the rotovap, although that’s a little hard to document since OR decided that they didn’t need to look at residual ethanol for some reason.

3 Likes

You’re going to be doing some hard core scraping if you are roto’ing down or a collection pot in the ffe to 400 ppm, Right?

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking as well. I am going to confirm tomorrow that I did not mis-hear.

Nothing wrong with it adding it to a fresh batch of crude if your going to distill it. Jarred extracts have a greatly extended shelf life over bagged weed and I’ve gotten decent yields from material much older than 2 months and it wasn’t stored as extract.

1 Like

Ran a spray vap from them for some time. It seems like if I stop the feed and crank my jacket up to about 190 and my torr is at around 45-50 I can collect the crude at close to 5%. 400 PPM no way in my humble opinion. I would cook at that temp and Torr with the feed paused for about 30 mins or until I noticed the condenser only pulling about a drop of etOH every second or two.

1 Like