Starting my first run today.

Got some crude together and will be firing up my LS 12L in a few minutes for my first run ever. I have read the other threads about first times and figured I would share my experience.

6 Likes

Nice :slight_smile: What filter are you using on your vacuum?

2 Likes

yeah, like @Stevesgoodsonline said! lemme see your cold trap!

3 Likes

using 50/50 glycol distilled h2o for the fluid bath

3 Likes

In for the ride as well

3 Likes

got the chiller at 40c and the trap at -112F just waiting on the trap to cool and then will start the mantle.

2 Likes

Got the system down to 205 microns on a room temp dry run (at the sensor near the pump) with the apiezon pfpe 501 grease on my glass connections. I’m hoping this will be sufficient as I cannot find any other connections to grease or tighten.

1 Like

In my experience, that was about what I was getting when I first started using roughly the same set up as you. I almost pulled my hair out trying to track down leaks as I was expecting to get into the 90 micron area. I ended up just upgrading my pump and have never had a problem since. The pump you are working with right now will do though. No need to upgrade right away

1 Like

Just out of curiosity what pump did you upgrade to?

I actually had my buddy who builds vacuums for nasa build me a custom pump

4 Likes

The name of his company is Kiinja Corporation

3 Likes

Good luck @The_Honest_Few. Looks like a baller setup! :+1:

4 Likes

Had to switch my cold trap bath over from glycol/water to straight ethanol as I was getting excessive freezing. Restarting cold trap and then will get this thing going.

2 Likes

I think glycol and water was only good to like -56c when I looked

2 Likes

Front row :grinning:

2 Likes

Popcorn- Check

2 Likes

Started it up. Mantle temp is set to 95c at 40% power and vacuum is set low currently at around 1000 micron. I am opening the vac to full as my temp increases. I’m hoping to hit full vac between 100 and 140c. I’m currently at 66 on the mantle and 41 on the head temp (both Celsius).

1 Like

Your vac level Will only start dropping after the 140C
At 140C You Will still be around 600 mic so relax

1 Like

I wonder if there is way, without being abused, for first timer runs to live feed and get instant feedback from the crowd for support. @sidco

2 Likes

Yeah I would have gladly filmed this process in a twitch like live stream that would have been much better for feedback.

1 Like