Sprayed breath mints discoloration

Hi everyone. Got another question for the community. I’m working on a sprayed breath mint. (I know, I know infused is much better.) But heres the thing. I keep getting random “rusty” looking spots on the mints. I am dissolving isolate in 99% food grade alcohol and spraying and drying in a food dehydrator.
Ive sent samples off to the lab its not mold or bacteria.
I’ve tried with isolates from multiple suppliers some result in more or less spots but i always end up with spots.
I was thinking of adding an anti oxidant but want to keep things as clean as possible.
Mint ingredients are : Xylitol, Gum Acacia, Natural Flavors, Magnesium Stearate

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

1 Like

You’re using 200 proof?

What are you using to spray? That may be the issue. Contaminants in the spray apparatus.

2 Likes

Are you making the mints yourself or are they store bought?

I believe this is the only food approved spray gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Krea-Swiss-multiSPRAY-Food-Spray/dp/B079HBTGD7/

If I’m wrong please let me know because KREA Swiss is draining the pockets for replacement parts lol

2 Likes

Lol if people wanna step up there game ive been offering help. Just gotta pay me. No free tek on this one.

7 Likes

You think spray on is the route to go? I’ve formulated some mints using a TDP 5 press(I think atleast maybe it was the 1.5) and its pretty easy. I can’t see why you wouldn’t make them from scratch.

1 Like

You’ll need water soluble. Unless you just want to throw isolate in a mint.

Spray on is good for a lot of things but you’re correct, nothing beats the real thing!

2 Likes

I’ve tried multiple sprayers. Same results. Ive also brushed it on just to see if this was the issue still getting spots .

We buy them wholesale bulk from the factory.

Thanks for the info ill look into this one.

If you’ve tried multiple sprayers and brush on, and still getting spots, I’m guessing it could be the distillate drying in spots and not seeping into the mint. Only getting a surface coat.

Like painting a car, you cant expect fresh paint to stick/adhere to a shiney surface. That’s why you (at the very least) need to scuff the part being painted. In your case, the mint.

3 Likes

If you want mints formulation is really easy. You can even get a cheap hand operated press and make some great formulations. Leave the spray on for the gummies :rofl:

3 Likes

The fucking plastic hoppers on those new TDP presses is ass tho. Someone please make a silicone one.

Looks like actual rust. I’ve seen cheap stainless devices cause things like this with ethanol.

My other guess would be it’s just distillate like demontrich said. What is the texture like? Oily/sticky?

Personally I’d plop a mint into a few ML of something like limonene. If the entire liquid gets an orange tint I’d guess cannabinoids. If it stays in one place or sinks to the bottom initially I’d suspect there’s rust or something in the spray gun. If it’s just cannabinoids congealing together then you could just coat them in a powder.

Might be easier to infuse a hard candy coating than press mints

Do you always store them in a metal container? Does this happen if you keep them in at p

2 Likes

Or the cbd flower d8 spraying scammers

3 Likes

I have to ask is the tek in relation to spraying or infusing

Food grade spraying methods

if you solution has a hue to it than that is your problem. the mints have spots witch have higher saturation capacity and your solution is accumulating in those spots… there’s my 50 cents, free of change, what goes around comes around

2 Likes