SPD on 5l problem with vac?

Hi everyone, I’m having problems with my 5l setup. Please help. Distilling CBD crude (winterized and decarbed)

I am unable to fraction off anything basically besides volatiles and terps probably.

I think i have several problems and few questions:

1. My head temp wont go more than 80’c, why?
    no matter how high i raise the temp on the mantle the temp is between 40-80’c even on 275’c on mantle…
  • i have isolated the mantle and the part of the head with tin foil and rock wool insulation.
  • the condenser water temp is from 0-30’c
  1. Is this vane pump strong enough to pull enough vacuum?

I’ve read the it should be fine, just a bit slower. The vacuum gauge goes to almost absolute and it will show less than -0,1 MPa. Lvl marked when on full vacuum with red line

All i was able to distill was something purplish (not very thick liquid) and i think the beginning of head (a bit more thicker, still smells bad)
At some point (at more than 200’c) i can see the little vapor drops floating inside the boiling flask, very little condenses and it drops super slow, like 1 drop per few min’s.

But i’ve seend ppl do it with this exact setup, not sure whats wrong here.
Thanks in advance for you’re help!

1 Like

You will need a digital vacuum gauge witch can go down till one micron
That gauge is not secure enough for good readings

5 Likes

That pump is no where near adequate for distilling cannabinoids. Not even close… Next, you certainly will need a digital vacuum gauge like @Roguelab suggested

You should post up some pictures of the whole setup with all the joints greased so maybe we can see other mistakes your making. BUT start with your vacuum pump and gauge and some pictures.

5 Likes

Its a classical chinese 5l distilation kit with triple cow.
The joints are greased properly and i have no leaks, the system is under stable vacuum when i turn the pump off.

I’ll drop some pic when im in the lab.

Could you recomend a pump under 800-1000$?

Are belt driven pumps better than classical rotary vane pumps or? Is the difference just in cfm? Besides durability ofc

usually you can pick up a used alcatel 2021 for under $500 shipped.

6 Likes

Unfortunately im from germany and i cant find that stuff in europe… i was looking at a belt driven pump but google cant even find something like this.

Is there anyone im EU that knows a dealer that would sell one? New or repaired…

Replace your vacuum pump and gauge as suggested. And don’t forget those pics, cause I’ll bet you there’s a pretty severe leak somewhere.

@Roguelab is your neighbor(Netherlands). I’m sure he can point you in the right direction.

1 Like

How far from Amsterdam are you located

4 Likes

Munich

1 Like

Would something like this be ok?

Pump:

Or

https://www.machineseeker.hr/edwards-e2m30/i-5158893

Gauge:
https://valuetool.pl/en/offer/navtek-hvac-professional-tools/narzedzia-pomiarowe/vmv-1

Great pump best one for the job

4 Likes

So the most important thing is Cfm? Can 60-100cfm pump break my glass? Because there are more stronger pumps for less price, but are more rugged.

What about the gauge, is this gauge ok?

@Roguelab
This one is cheaper and it has more cfm
▷ Used Rotary vane vacuum pump Busch Vakuum RC040E for sale - Machineseeker.co.uk

No that pump is a singel stage rotary. Vane pump and will not pull the deep vacuum you need

1 Like

No vacuum pump should be able to break your glass (round botom glass)
For the deepest vacuum that exists is - 1 bar

2 Likes

Hi rogue labs
I jumped in this thread as I’m looking for the vaccum range spec I need for a vacuum meter. The vacuum services guy I bought my edwards 28 from said he would find me a meter but wanted to know the range the meter has to measure.
As said elsewhere on this thread is the measure down to one micron. ? Is that all I need to ask for. ? Thanks for any help ans meter suggestions to buy in Europe.

Yes a meter that expresses the pressure in micron is easiest since most work with micron
A dubbel stage vacuum pump can go down till 1 micron in perfect conditions
As for meters the cheapest solution is a yellow jacket Hvac meter for Wich one has To make a S- flare fitted T to connect the meter to the vac line These parts are available at the hvac supply store

2 Likes

Yellow jackets aren’t accurate or calibrated.

1 Like

Thanks Roguelab

Treu but they work they are light weight on glass wear if ever you want to place them mid way they are cheap and there sensors can be bought new second hand they can be found for less than 100$ and the sensor is brand new 60 for any beginner treu valeu for your money

1 Like