Sorting smalls

My fellow cultivators. What are some clever ways you sort your smalls from the bigger buds of trimmed flower ?

There are a million ways to skin a cat. This looks pretty easy to recreate for cheap

The greenbroz one goes for $16k

Chicken wire on a tote seems to be efficient for myself

7 Likes

Duff trays 100% perfect fit for turkey bags. Easy and affordable.

1 Like

Are you for fucking real? I know greenrush is a thing but $6k for a pile of totes with a screen on it!? I’m laughing my ass off

2 Likes

We found one of those machines from the 90s that you stand on and it jiggles your whole body at Salvation Army one day.
brought it back to the farm, cut the top off, strapped a tote with wire to it and it seemed to do the trick for sorting smalls really quickly

4 Likes

I’m partial to hand sorting while hand trimming. I’m not fond of the damage that any mechanical separator (or trimmer) does to the flower. I was trained to not ever have to touch the flower while trimming and packaging, and that’s how I still like to do it. Granted, not going through 1000 lbs a day like this, but why go through the trouble of mixing popcorn in when you’re just going to take it out?

3 Likes

I could fabricate that cheaper than they are selling it for jesus

1 Like

Screen with some 2x4s screwing it in and shake or simply the cage from a fan have worked well for me

1 Like

If that is the preferred method, suspending the 2x4 framed “tray” will make agitation easier and reduce worker fatigue.

2 Likes

We have a food-grade sorter that does this automatically. The smaller of the common size is 13.5k and the larger is 19, but there are smaller and larger than both. More can be learnt here Hemp Sorters | ABM Equipment . Happy hunting!

Totes with holes in the bottom are good for garbling. Start with about dime size hole, next quarter and then silver dollar. Put sortables in the tote with the smallest holes first, gently shake and the smalls fall through.

1 Like

The sad thing is I know a guy in operations that could and would go and buy multiple of these.

But then try to ask the head cultivator if they really need to spend so much on nutrients for a bunch of weeds. Sometimes the people with the company card are completely clueless on things like this. Looking at it I don’t think it would even work that well.

2 Likes

I’d like to see it go head to head with a chicken wire tote yielding wook hopped up on Yerba mate

7 Likes

It is really amazing how many company owners/money men are from the cult of Billy Mays. Many a slap-chop in the corporate cupboard

4 Likes