Some Chemist Talk and some pH

Hey everyone a few thoughts for my chemists out here. Has anyone seen conversion of CBD to THC under acidic conditions? I think I’m seeing it here. Is there a known mechanism for this out there.

Secondly, I’ve talked about pH on here before and I’ve googled all the old threads. The only thing question I have left is how to actually adjust pH in oil. Are you guys just simply adding some sodium bicarb or similar to it?

Thanks
Patrick

You’re seeing conversion where?

The mechanisms have been known since the 40s with the invention of the alkaline beam test.

Some people use sodium bicarbonate as a base, and yes add it to their oil and homogenize

2 Likes

This has been reported for years

2 Likes

Dissolve your crude in ethanol and check the PH prior to doing anything, this gives you your starting PH

After you’ve done your work, redisolve your crude into ethanol and check the PH again.

If it’s off take a small glass of water and add a tiny bit of citric acid or magnesium oxide ( citric acid will lower ph, magnesium oxide will raise ph)

Take an eye dropper and drop in your water containing one of the PH adjusters above, adjust it till the PH is where it was when you first checked it and you should be good

4 Likes

I’m getting a good clean separation on my prep scale flash column but then after time I’m seeing THC start popping back up from non-detectable to detectable. I did some testing and my oil was going acidic at some point after short-path to going through the column.

What’s your column material?