Sogevac 40 CFM for 20L rotovac?

Yall think a Sogevac sv40 could be used for a 20 L rotovap ? I’m already getting one for my SPD and just wondering if I can use it in both spots.

Thanks,
HK

That is a LOT of suck for a rotovap.

Too much? Quite possibly…

Certainly way more than required.

Seems like a decent choice for your SPD

Do you have a go-to vacuum pump for rotovaps? I’ve heard diaphragm pumps are usually used. Appreciate any direction on a make or model that you’ve had good experience with.

Lanphan quoted me a water aspirated pump for $300, but I’m leaning towards something more like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diaphragm-Vacuum-Pump-Oil-Free-Dual-Head-60-L-Min-GM-1-0A-Antiseptic-Membrane-ie/332672380777?hash=item4d74d1af69:g:pzsAAOSw56pbPlcN

Really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
HK

People like diaphragm pumps because they don’t have a problem with pumping solvents through them, IMO I’d rather have deeper vacuum if at all possible, but oil flooded pumps don’t like having their lubricating oil watered down with solvent, so I’d recommend a Welch Duoseal - used they can be had super cheap - but only if you are willing to invest in a proper cold trap to make sure the welch doesn’t get ruined by sucking ethanol or other vapors through it.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m looking for a entry level deep vacuum pump for a 1-2lt system. I’ll look at these. Any other suggestions?

That pump will pull way to deep and you will have to constantly change oil or have a very good cold trap

1 Like

Sogevac isn’t explosion proof. It will launch vapors in your room and around thr pump and can cause a accident.

Sogevac is really only used for the decarbing / terp stripping portion of the distillation process for me. Lots of CFM, but doesn’t pull super deep.

Mine pulls 100 micron all day, 220 or so if its soaked and needs changed

I wouldn’t consider 100 micron deep enough for a 2nd pass

Oh ya no way, i use it for the same reason and way you do. Ive just always been pleased at how deep it will pull even soaked. I stop using it after about 150c or so

@IndyExtractions what level vac do you typically pull for your terp strip?

Somewhere between 400-600 micron depending on what stage it’s at

@IndyExtractions you terp strip after the first stage?

what? no. By “what stage it’s at” I meant it depends on where I’m at in the distillation. Beginning or end of terp strip. Gets down to less than 250 if it’s real thorough. measured before the cold traps.

Ok that makes sense sorry for the confusion.