So, quick question regarding SPD

So, I have been building up to get my first SPD rig going, to offer as a support service to the companies I am working hydrocarbon extracts for.

Now I know everyone has their own tek/process.

Now this all being said, I recently viewed a video where they literally threw a gunky but fairly decent slab into the spd, no alcohol, no scrubbing, which had me perplexed.

Can you just straight up load okay-ish slab work into an SPD and get it cranking?

This goes against everything I have read and seen prior, and just has me scratching my head…

In my experience you can load pretty much any unadulterated material into a short path and it will do a decent job at what it’s made for. Don’t expect it to fully winterize your material, you’ll need to winterize after first pass if you don’t do it before.

2 Likes

Thank you for the fair response, so the method is just a fast and lazy way to do it, still best to have a buchner, and some ethanol, just to give it a thorough run through.

Good to know.

Processing is a flow right. Upstream affects downstream. Preparation is key.

but…we’ve loaded some rough stuff in…and it goes. Requires some different parameters of course.

The reduction of bandwidth of compounds makes the process and result much better. Using something with more compounds present just means it’s a bit harder to separate and you might have other compounds collected in main body you normally wouldn’t.

2 Likes

I always use that analogy, its easier to work with something that has 200 of something in it, vs. 400 of something in it.

So CRC’d material may be pretty okay-ish to load, but straight up crude, you’re gonna wanna do some reducing.

Regardless always best to do a proper ethanol breakdown, winterization, and chroma to clean up.

Nice, there are options in how to attack it, with pro’s and cons to every one, except just you know… doing it proper is always best.

Thank you guys, I know its a simplistic question.