Smacking my head issues with quality trim turning black oil

Hey guys last night Isearched and read alot but nothing was directed to my exact issue . (Tell me if I missed it)

So I have aquired both fresh frozen plants as well as some cured trim .
Long story short the trim looks well smells good but when ran it come out dark as hell and (rare if it looks good won’t smell or taste ) and other than that of coarse when it’s dark it also smells like dried grass .

I run a coil cooled by iso and d.i also a d.i column so my temps are cold as all hell.

What I know about the grower is it’s a light dep greenhouse with mostly organic nutes but some synthetics are used they say they flush .

I was thinking sulfer ? But I cannot seem to find that nasty smell to associate that as being the issue . I would say moisture but in a subzero column I doubt it . I have put in new gas and same shit recovering at 80*

So in a shell my oils dark has no or bad taste but the flower and trim it comes from smells dank I am taking every step to ensure filtration and low low temps ohh no to mention I ran 10 lbs and got micro slab back but had to have pushed at least 12 lbs through 4 lbs and the material was tested at 17% I think we ended up with a 6% return where the hell is my oil goin ?

Sorry for the rant guys just stressed never had an issue beat me

1 Like

Almost forgot I do know I could go crc but it slows me down so much , also not a fan of the pure white oil and I have tried a few crc oils even from fresh frozen their was no taste any ho info not wish to pack and replace filter media all day waiting for 20obs of solvent

1 Like

Is it machine trim?

2 Likes

I think this is a common misconception with crc. I have had crc dabs that taste better than non crc’d.

And it shouldn’t be that slow with n2 and the appropriate adsorbents/powders

My 2 cents

7 Likes

Both machine and hand one is from indoor the other. Greenhouse but both for out dark and are not more than 3 months old also sealed Inna vac bag

1 Like

Machine trim is known to come out dark. There’s another thread somewhere that goes into detail.

3 Likes

We’re gonna need pics of your set up and the biomass.

What is your solvent?

How is your flow rate?

Amount of solvent/biomass used in an extraction?

4 Likes

agreed. CRC ran material is always better, it removes various metals and other stuff that have no place being inhaled. I run B80 and it always comes out light yellow. I’m not one for 100% clear concentrates either.

To put it in perspective. I would save 70% of my harvest and run the last 30%. Since getting my N2 and CRC setup dialed in, I now run 100% of my harvest. This is all for personal use too, no money being made. It really does make it that much better.

6 Likes

Nice what kind of ratios are you using if you dog mind ?

Will have to get a few of those but at the moment 90% ntane 10% propane using about 12/15 lb of solvent in 4/5 lbs

1 Like

You should run more solvent bro. 3lbs to 1lb is awfully low

9 Likes

just B80. I use around 40-50g per 100g of material. It’s a bit overkill I think but since I’m using a 6" column for my powders, it’s easier to just fill it up to prevent channeling. It comes out pretty light yellow, not colorless but fairly clear.

1 Like

Neem oil turns extracts black as well.

6 Likes

Yes you definitely need more solvent. To start

Simply put the material you are using is garbage, trim can always look good but turn out dark id recommend getting a few pound samples first running it and if it turns black don’t buy anymore.

The only other thing that I have heard helps is literally picking out every single fan leaf or bit of fan leaf out of it to lighten the color

Also everyone or at least almost everyone is the industry is shady only take what people say at face value most people lie and shit just to make a sale they say it’s only 3 months could be up to a year ya never know people are dishonest so you gotta really filter out to bad players from the good if you’re gonna make it anywhere good luck

4 Likes

CRC when done well should preserve the flavors you want while removing the less desired substances that have no need being vaporized/inhaled. When it comes to machine trimmed bud, it can leave residual oils and grease from the machine that can turn your extract dark. Don’t get it wrong though. That might not be the only issue. If your plants weren’t flushed properly, you can be pulling even more undesirables. I’d recommend doing tests from different strains from the same grower vs other growers to find the variables that hurt and help you the most.

Flushing plants is bro-science, aka fake news.

5 Likes

I’m with @Demontrich, black oil has usually been neem in my experience.

2 Likes

Bumped ld up to about 25/30 lbs per column 4x36 inch seems to have helped although I will say feels like anything after y 1st run return seems to drop and I’m pulling out of the same 50 gallon bin blahhh I’ve never had these issues in the past