Slow flow....what would you change?

Hey hey, pics are of current main body parameters

2L mantle with across I ternational head

“21 cfm” best value vacs rotary vane dual stage pump

36 micron for entire second pass

210 mantle SV with PV read in thermowell with just a pinch of avocado oil for heat transfer

175-180 Vapor temp at head

60c condenser and heat wrap to maintain flow into vac isolater valve/ collection flask

2000rpm (maxed out) on stir aside from lowering to swap collection flasks when/if needed

Getting a nice 5-8mm coil at collection but the collection rates still seem awful when others say they pull off the same parameters in a handful handful hours instead of longer than a 8 hour work shift if not overnight some times

I just can’t imagine pushing much further without color change or degradation overall…correct me if wrong…

When people say 200c max on second pass they mean at the mantle correct?? Not the Vapor temp??

I feel like I’ve maxed out flow rate and it’s still insanely slow…would love to collect a few folks $0.02 and see what could be concluded

Working on linking a video documenting coil and reflux patterns

You can try wrapping the head with more rope

Probably the issue is your still is tiny

3 Likes

I could see that… but I get similar parameters on a 5l as well…

So I’d like to investigate other possibilities…

I had always assumed that once the head was to temp insulation wouldn’t matter too much…but I could see where you may want to keep it held in to keep energizing the reaction up the head instead of warming air around it…gathering the anti alien headware now lol

1 Like

Just a Lil trashy a Lil flashy, but the Vapor temps reacted immediately…

Thank you for being a clear bit of insight after a few foggy days distilling :laughing::laughing::smile::smile::metal::metal:

Vapor temp final point to come after stabaliz8ng

It’s like she yelled don’t look at me while I work my magic!! And starting spitting like crazy once I gave her a little cloak to cover up with…poor girl was just cols is all :smile::smile::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::cold_face::cold_face::cold_face::cold_face:

1 Like

DONT BE A FOOL!! WRAP YO TOOL!! Lol

Threw some rope under the foil

Nice! Glad that helped a bit.

Do you have vacuum grease on those joints?

1 Like

Yes apiezon 501…pea sized drop on the wider 1/3 of the fitting …maybe a bit more for 34/45 fitting …but 39 is lower than a lot of folks claim to be doing some pretty fast work…so leaves me a bit confused as to how they do it…

1 Like

At 186 Vapor temp now with the head all bundles up…flow is definitely faster but not liter/hrs fast :laughing::laughing::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_shrugging::pleading_face:

I find i get faster flow sometimes with slower spin speeds than yours, i never go over 1200. I did 3.5 liters in 6 hrs on a 5l today. Also what size are your hoses or are you going full bore? Wrapping it helps immensely as you’ve seen

4 Likes

Yeah, larger neck size is how they do it. That with larger pumps and larger bores along with temps.

Once i got up to a 55 neck i got above 1l/h with ease and got up to 2l/h once. But it also depends on some other factors, but that’s pretty much the basics.

If you can get a 45 neck 5l setup you will see an increase in flow aswell.

3 Likes

The 5l has a 45 neck…next pass on it will be 3rd time using it so maybe I’ll achieve better performance this time fingers crossed

Thanks for the input yall!

Stir speed is one I’ve always locked in as fast as it will go…but I’ve pondered weather or not playing with it may find a speed that is more optimal… fast enough to keep the whole solution exposed to more surface area/heat faster, but not so fast that it is unable to recieve the full thermal transfer that the flask has to offer?

1 Like

Well, speed definitely requires higher temps. I saw 0.5l/h difference going from 195 to 210 vapor temp. So this goes back to what your preferences are. Faster runs or higher purity? It’s one or the other.

When I got 99.4% first pass my head temp never went above 168c. But it took forever to get it done. So it very much depends on what your end goal is here. Also my condenser is set to above 100c, maxed out at 150c.

2 Likes

You just nailed a question Noone really elaborates on…Vapor temp in the 190s to 200s… I’ve never been up there myself. But man it would fly I’d imagine!

What is the set value for the mantle with Vapor temps up there?

So, when i was maxing out my runs i was at 220 in the flask. Normally I’d stop at 210 in the flask. But by doing some tests i quickly found out that you can push things to their limit if you want to. Hell, i’ve witnessed a friend run at higher temps than that and it was spitting flow like a mofo. Looked like a God damn waterfall.

I will have to say though that this was not regular distillation i was doing, this was with straight cannabinoids, so it’s not advisable to do this for normal runs. I’d not run like that if i was running crude. Again, it was highly experimental and you will get degradation with poor separation at higher temps.

1 Like

At least for me there’s usually a sweet spot around 800-1050 where i get a constant stream, temps usually 193 or less vac 30 mics or less.

3 Likes

193 vapor?? Or mantle?? Stir bar is going to be my big variable to mess around with next run for sure

1 Like