Short Path Distillate Odor

Distilling a second time always greatly reduces odor and generally improves color as well.

2 Likes

Should go without saying… we use RO water… then back to the ethanol.

When glasswear starts looking cloudy we give it a base bath, RO rinse, ethanol, dry.

I use tapwater with no issues. For decades. FWIW…

Edit, my tap ppm is 20…

There is no way that your mantle temp reading is accurate. How can your head temperature exceed your mantle temperature?

With your head temps at 219, your mantle is most likely at 250+. If your head temps in the mains are 219, your vacuum level is worse than 20 000 micron.

I know all of this, because this is how the person that initially taught me distillation ran his 5L. We ran vacuum levels at 17 000 right through mains and hit mantle temps as high as 320 to finish. It was an excellent lesson on how not to do something.

Don t exaggerate your numbers :wink:
Some one might believe they are accurate and use them as refrance

Sogevac are singel stage pumps
Getting a better vac will require a dubble stage vac pump

1 Like

Those numbers are not an exaggeration. They are the exact parameters that this individual was running his spd. Which, as I previously stated is completely incorrect.

Yes it is between cold trap and pump on floor. I moved the pump to bench and shortened lines.

Im sorry I had the numbers reversed, the mantle was 219 and head 211. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 Like

Good tips :pray::pray:

I was having some smell issues and fixed them all with one simple thing. Swap your cold trap before the mains pop.

credit to @spdking. Read it in his docs somewhere and decided to try it. Distillate is smell free now and gets amazing vacuum.

My assumption is moving to a nice clean cold trap gives you a clean condensing area to work from after you pass 160/170 and get a lot of the shit out.

2 Likes

Those captured volatiles fuck with vacuum hard always good to remove them when possible. Take off valves on cold traps are fucking great.

1 Like

Do you use something like this on the cold trap:

1 Like