Shatter with pour spout CLS?

some valves catch a lot of product/solvent inside when you actuate them. this leads to some accidental seeds.

(also never look into a valve as you cycle it for this reason)

5 Likes

Good call! I have only taken a few of the swage valves completely apart. I don’t do this is often as i probably should. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

I used to believe that nucleation was happening from agitation, such as spreading the oil on parchment with spatula or accidentally smearing the thick slab with fingers. I noticed though that nucleation was happening when I didn’t let the slab surface temp reach target before pulling vac. However, when I would ensure the slab surface temp was good before pulling vac I didn’t get nucleation even with spreading thin slabs with a spatula instead of just free pouring.

Tips on avoiding Nucleation:

• Don’t assume your oven temps are accurately representing the slab. Oven temps tend to be offset from actual internal temps.

• Measure slab temp with an IR thermometer to be sure conditions are ideal.

• If you notice the slab forming micro-bubbles in a foam-like manner then stop pulling vac, seal current vac level and let the micro-bubble foam resolve before continuing pulling vac. Add extra heat if necessary.

• If the slab is too cold and is not resolving then try increasing oven temp by 1-2°c at a time and give the slab time to warm up. Cold bho will resist the stretching that the butane is doing to the slab as it escapes, especially when the slab is thick. When the temp is too low this stretching causes a lot of friction in the slab. Properly warmed slabs, more often than not, will pull nicely and produce bigger individual bubble sizes that resolve quickly.

• If you spread a thin slab on parchment and it starts foaming right away simply let it sit in oven at purge temp until it warms up and melts the foam away before proceeding with vacuum purging.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the reply, we’ve implemented these techniques and still will have issues here and there. We’ve had the spout refinished to make sure there is no etching or spurs that could potentially cause issues.

I honestly don’t know which direction to look at this point. :man_shrugging:. I currently don’t have a spray ball or screw tip on this system which i do on the other, to help keep the material column walls clean so i will be addressing that asap and looking elsewhere if that doesn’t help.

1 Like

how did you make it pour as foam ? I achieved this once but wasn’t able to again

Reduce the solvent enough and charge with n2 to 5psi, it’ll come out foamy

Charge with n2 or solvent vapor

4 Likes

You running fresh material or cured material? I’ve done shattter both pouring and with spouts and haven’t had any nucleation issues. How’s the atmosphere in your lab? I recover most all the solvent then add positive pressure to collection vessel at 5-10psi then I pour into a mason jar then I pour my oil on a parchment paper. I don’t do pour off fast thought I control the flow nice and slow. All that with no nucleation. I can see if your getting those issues with fresh froze and that’s due to the high terpene profile on some strains, n matter what they sugar up. That’s why for shatter I only like running cute material that’s not old.