Seized hex screw on Alcatel 2021i

This is for sure a Longshot but here we go… Also I apologise if this is miscategorized, but this seemed like the best board to post this problem sans a ‘hardware’ section.

I’m trying to rebuild my Alcatel 2021i and, of course, ran into my first problem on step 1: A seized 3mm hex screw on the bottom of the oil sight glass is preventing me from moving any further. Ironically enough, the one with signs of corrosion came out with no issue.

After a hand Allen wrench didn’t work, I soaked it in PB Blaster and soaked it overnight. Still wouldn’t work with the wrench, so I tried it with a drill, and that finally stripped the head. I then tried with a Torx and that couldn’t break the screw either. This SOB is really frozen in there.

Im now figuring either a propane torch or a Easy Out drill attachment. I’ve never had to use an Easy Out before and I’m concerned the head on this screw might not have enough girth to break this seized screw. Conversely, maybe the torch, with some luck and patience, will break whatever is seized up, but then I’m concerned about causing other damage to the pump. I have a rebuild kit so I’m not too concerned about the plastic sight glass, but I doubt burn marks are going to be much help if it comes time to resell this pump.

So here’s my hail Mary pitch to see if anyone here has any last minute ideas before I get any more invasive and possibly destroy my pump, or I either give up and go buy another one.

God bless, and thanks for any advice.

Stick a rubber band in the stripped head. Now put the Allen wrench/key into the rubber band filled hole. It should fill in enough to back the screw out

4 Likes

Did you use an impact drill? Whats the thread diameter? You shoud have enough metal to use an easy out. if ya drill it down deep enough.

1 Like

Is the head of the screw stripped or are the threads actually frozen?

Screw extractors (easy out) will probably work. I used to extract 1mm hex screws usually with no problems if all done right.

1 Like

You dont need to take the sight glass off to pop off the case just the 4 bolts by the kf25 fittings and un hook your ballast

3 Likes

Don’t bother with an easy out, just drill it out with an appropriately sized left handed drill bit, it’ll back itself right out.

Looks like its sticking up… Easy fix… Grab it with some vice grips and break it loose

#MechanicLife #YoureWelcomeDernord

1 Like

Take the case off, set it on a drill press, and drill it out straight. Pry out the start of the threads, grab it with pliers, and should uncoil like a slinky. Get a new bolt, done. Option 2: drill to bolt diameter and re tap, or use a helicoil if some threads remain. :beers:

com

Thanks for the advice all. I managed it after a couple hours with a drill.

5 Likes