Seeking some advice on falling film distillation

I am new to processing…So when I put the crude into the distiller, everything is going fine, and then the “trash” side gums up and backflows into the “good” side with a black, almost glass-like substance. The temps are at the recommended setpoints. This has happened a few times…we have taken apart the whole thing and cleaned it, and cleaning every day.

I have heard 2 theories- 1. too much chlorophyll in my crude and 2. extraction process “too good” (that from the manufacturer), adjusted temps as recommended and still happening.

Thoughts?
Thnaks

1 Like

I don’t think I understand what kind of unit you’re using and what process you’re doing but it sounds like you need to turn your residue/evap temps way up or sacrifice product to allow it to flow down. Can you post a link to the equipment? Are you using this to pull thc from crude or to strip solvent?

We are using Delta Separations rolled film distillation unit. https://www.deltaseparations.com/distillation/
We are pulling CBD from crude, the ethanol has been taken out by a reactor beforehand.

The residue isn’t heated on that unit. You can get a heating gun and ensure the flow continues, essentially babysitting the unit ( I have had this issue in smaller stills) or get those silicone/cloth heat strips to keep things viscous enough to move.

1 Like

I tried the heat gun thing this morning. It worked and when I took it away, it gunked up immediately. Any idea why it would do this and not be a problem for every other user of that machine?

Thank you for the help!!

1 Like

There’s a wide variety of crude out there, extracted with different solvents and vastly different parameters as far as temperature & residence time, ditto for the extraction labs decarb/degas SOP. Before my extraction process was able to be done at very cold temps we had a lot more problems with extracting chlorophyll, sugars and other nasties, and spent a lot more time cleaning rotovap glass accordingly.

1 Like

Correct, like I said, I’ve had to do the same thing with a heating gun before. Some crude residue is glassy and hard, some is sloshy. Depends on source and/or methods. There’s no problem with you or your unit, however this is why I appreciate CTS unit’s heated residue pan.

3 Likes

you need to add a heat tape to your raffinate outflow, or sit there and use a heat gun to keep it clear. not a big deal. Its winter and your ambient temps where you are working may just be a little too cool to keep it flowing. No big deal, you got this.

1 Like

Thank you! Its 80 here today, I hope you are right and when it is 95 out, it will flow! I am checking out that tape now. Thank you!

1 Like

usually about 80-100˚C is enough to keep it flowing

Hello Montclair Botanicals, if it ends up being the chlorophyll, let us know. We have product that can remove that to a clear level. Thanks, Greg gregh@heyesfilters.com

My heat thermometer gun thing was reading 75 with the heat gun and 50 without. :frowning:

at 50˚C you are definitely at risk for solidification. A cheap heat tape is your best friend!

1 Like

Distillation is already efficient at removing chlorophyll (especially if you are operating at Molecular Distillation pressures of 10mTORR or less), no need for extra products.

2 Likes

try using a flexible desk lamp with a heat lamp bulb screwed in, run the lamp on one of those cords with a dimmer switch so you can control the temps.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-125-Watt-Soft-White-2700K-BR40-Dimmable-Incandescent-120-Volt-Heat-Lamp-Light-Bulb-24-Pack-125R40-1-HDRP-24/312952902

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Globe-Electric-32-in-Multi-Joint-Metal-Clamp-Black-Desk-Lamp-56963/205139331

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-300-Watt-Incandescent-CFL-LED-Tabletop-Dimmer-White-R12-TBL03-10W/203812625

These are a good solution to babysitting with a heat gun, great for spd too.
Remember to take the shade off the desk lamp!
Get all three items form your local homedepot and you’ll be rocking. :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Thank you! I ordered a heat tape but shipping is slow nowadays. Great alternative, I will dry!
Thank you!!!

The heat tape works, but the bulb is actually better. The infrared rays from the bulb work through the vacuum inside the apparatus. This is something that the heat tape cannot do, it relys on conduction to transfer the heat.

2 Likes