Second pass pre-processing

I managed to get through a first pass on my basic SPD setup though my vapor temps were around 260 indicating a probable leak, due to my inadequate vacuum gauge leak isolation was nearly impossible, (though i have a bullseye coming now). Despite all this my first pass didnt come out all that bad, the room stank but the distillate didnt stink too much. I decided then to attempt a second pass on the body, with the same setup but different pump, welch 1400 (250 ml spd).I had minimal charring in the flask, and It came over more quickly than the first pass but now it absolutely reeks and i had almost no color change. I am hoping to remove the smell as well as improve the color though the smell is more important to me. I am considering attempting another round of winterization at a higher concentration to see if anything else comes out 1:5 (200 proof) or perhaps dissolving it in hexane and saline washing it, then running the hexane solution though celite,bleaching clay and AC. it seems likely that vacuum is my problem and im working to get that dialed in but in the meantime any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

my processing so far
cold etoh extraction, winterization (1:10) at -80 *3, filtration through celite and AC *2, decarb, first pass, second pass

1 Like

What’s the lowest micron your hitting. From my noob knowledge you gotta be below 50. Ideal 1 micron.

I’ve done light yellow gold, zero smell at 150 microns during mains.

Deffinately lower microns wins.

1 Like

I dont have a micron gauge yet but i will soon, i was pulling 30 inhg on my shitty gauge.

is that with a similar process to mine, no extraordinary filtering techniques besides dewaxing and AC? Second pass?

When you fix your vacuum gauge re run the material with proper vacuum (30 micron or lower in mains ideally) and you’ll see why it smells

2 Likes

I’ve heard tell folks some folks are distilling thru a hot condenser packed with polymer absorbents as a means to tighten up fractions in an spd run.

2 Likes

Tell me more @ScoobyDoobie!

1 Like

I haven’t seen it in person but I’ve been told that the ion exchange resin beads are used as theoretical plates in the distillation column.

1 Like

That makes perfect sense, Im thinking for the most part the more plates the better? Might there be a practical upper limit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nuclear-Grade-Mix-Bed-Ion-Exchange-Deionization-Resin-For-RO-DI-Aquarium-5-Lbs-/153278707191

This stuff?

No, I believe they were using some kind of cross linked styrene polymer.

Edit: Oop looks like that stuff is a styrene polymer.

Seems a little risky putting plastic in such a high temperature environment, stainless steel glass or copper seems like a much safer alternative. Anyone have experience using tiny boro beads?

micro glass beads

1 Like