Scrubbing used powders

Has anyone pulled anything out of spent powders.

I have had minimal success running room temp isobutane through them. Results were kinda ok. Remined me of disty.

I was thinking of trying with ethonal or a different solvent. Has anyone tried this and if so what did you use and how?

2 Likes

When we flush our chroma columns we use a 70% methyl acetate and 30% methanol mix at room temp to flush everything out.

1 Like

Is the stuff you flush worth it

Aggressive polar type solvents will work best. I’m thinking methanol or acetone are promising options.

1 Like

I would try warm ethanol followed by acetone

2 Likes

Depends on what kind of powders you’re referring to. For T41 I use acetone and it scrubs it clean. I started looking for ways to clean powders after carbon chemistry had a recall with their t41. I was forced to improvise and reuse/wash old powders.

1 Like

So, I’d say this is only worth it to run through an spd. I’m uncertain if it would yield anything as I’ve only had it mixed in with rewashes and such.

This last time I took some of the pure wash from powders and threw in the vac oven. It looks straight disgusting, dark and waxy-ish. Started out hardening up and getting shiny but after 5+ days it went from firm to melt and refusing to become solid again. So I don’t know what’s actually in it.

Thinking you could force whatever is in there out in the short path.

1 Like

I was thinking the same

If u try and distill your reclaim from ur powders, it will result in a very dark distillate and yield about 20%. You gotta then rerun that yield thru a crc again and wash it/LLE to end up with a 5-10% yield, so if its worth it for u go for it.
Washing with alcohol works to get most of ur cannabinoids then washing with acetone will clean out the powders (i dont suggest trying to pull anything out of the acetone fraction unless its acetone)

2 Likes

I’ve done this with some success on Magsil PR. pretty much just filled a mason jar halfway with it then filled the other half with water and shook it then let it settle and poured off the water. repeated until water stopped pulling color then went to a few other solvents and dried it in an oven. the used magsil definitely pulled color but not enough for it to be worth it