Rotovap questions

I have a water circulating pump from usa lab equipment. The blue one.

Trying to make it work with what I got right now

I’m not familiar with those, but it looks like they do have a vacuum gauge. I would think a valve like this would work with the rubber vac hose from usa lab. 8mm barbed valve for sale | eBay

Junk!

The main issue with that is you MUST keep the water cold, or you loose vac depth as well as cold h20 for the condenser

I understand the water issue with the pump. Just trying to get these first passes through so I can level up to a better one

1 Like

Like @tare said, grab one of these

Equal 8mm Barb Barbed Brass 3 Ways Type Y Gas Fitting Connector Valve | eBay

Cheapo way to break and throttle vac

2 Likes

Thank you everyone with the quick responses and input. Very much appreciated. I’ll let ya know how it goes

1 Like

Didn’t want to make a new thread but I have a rotovap question so here goes:

The Alcatel 2021i is clearly way too fucking powerful for a single 20L rotovap- anyone wanna give me hints on what pump I should be using? Or if there is a cheap way to make it work with the 2021i? I have a bleed valve but it’s so incredibly touchy that if I so much as flick the valve the pressure goes haywire.

Find a good deal on an eBay used diaphragm pump

1 Like

How many cfm though?

My guess would be 3-4 CFM minimum for a single 20l roto

Vacuubrand ME8. Sweet pump!

I just bought a Welch 2580b-01 for $600 shipped. eBay is great so long as you can dial your search terms to something that a liquidator would use.

2 Likes

I had a major fuck up happen yesterday when i heated my crude to 99c before transferring it to my pot for decarbing. Everything was fine i had 3l in the flask when i took it off to go pour it in the pot. For some reason i thought I’d do it as fast as possible, so as usual i put my holding ring on the pot and put the flask on it to pour in. I forgot about the muffin wars and it promptly proceeded to muffin up and spill a full liter out and over the pot. 5 hours later i got things somewhat clean. I’m now really wanting to find a pump so i don’t have to take the flask off of the roto, but can just pump it out while it’s still connected to the rotovap. So my question is what type of pump can i use for this purpose?

1 Like

I made this contraption to empty my 50l rotovap, it’s a 5l filter flask with a rubber stopper that I drilled a hole in and inserted a polycarbonate tube into attached to silicone hose and another polycarbonate tube with a shorter length of silicone hose that slides down into the rotovap.

I use the diaphragm pump connecting to the filter flask and it sucks out the oil pretty quickly.

Here’s pics and links to everything I used to make it:

amazon.com

Extra Large 5000mL (5L) Borosilicate Filtering Flask: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

amazon.com

3 Pack - CleverDelights Solid Rubber Stoppers - Size 12-62mm x 51mm - 38mm Long - Black Lab Plug #12: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

amazon.com

Polycarbonate Tubing, 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD x 1/16" Wall, Clear Color 24" L: Industrial Plastic Tubing: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I already had this tubing but you may want to get something a little larger off amazon as it was pretty difficult to get over the 1/2” ID 5/8” OD polycarbonate:

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/3-8-silicone-tubing-for-flow.html

Other than that I just used a 1/2” drill bit to bore out a whole large enough to squeeze in the 1/2” ID 5/8” OD polycarbonate while a friend held the rubber stopper with a large pair of channel locks.

8 Likes

Sweet, thank you. I might have to try that out. That looks great. I’m impressed.

3 Likes

it was 1800$ without the kit, lanphan brand seems to do ok for me

Yup
I have the same chiller now. 1400 was my $

It works well for the 5l imo

@Homesteader

i know this is an old post, but i wanted to say, @IsolationChamberLab fucking ehhhhh - thats a fantastic way to get it out

1 Like