rotovap for bho clean-up?

Honestly no idea if this is the right tab to put this question under but How do I use a rotovap to get bho cleaner than a vacuum oven? I hear that some people use a rotovap in the end to go below certain ppm. Well I’m gonna try that when my rotovap part comes in from China. How do you do it though? What steps do I take for maximum efficacy?

Do u have an oven also? Roto is unnecessary unless you add a post processing solvent such as an alcohol

2 Likes

I have an oven and I do the 3 days flip every 12 hours but can’t you stick shatter in a rotovap and put it to the boiling point of butane and let it go a little more in a rotovap?

Its going to be a pain in the ass to get that oil out of the rotovape boiling flask… i think your oven is your best bet

1 Like

Boiling point of butane is very low. Try using a mixture of sublimation and vacuum oven.

By this i mean take your oil out of the fully vac’d ~85-104°F oven every hour ;

Place your slab in a dry, clean fridge (not freezer) once the thc hardens up your butane will begin to rise to the surface. Put your slabs back in the oven, flipped if you want to…

you should be able to purge a batch in a day

2 Likes

I just got a rotovap for the purpose of cleaning up old dark slabs that I cannot sell. I am diluting the purged slabs in the ethanol at a 1:10 ratio respectively. I use a half gallon mason jar. Shake it around to dissolve over a couple hour. Next is when people use a Buchner funnel, filter disc and celite 454 to help clarity (youtube celite 545 BVV for a visual). that is the color remediation step. you can use different powders like clay bleach, activated charcoal etc. Then, I place my half gallon mason jar with polished ethanol solution in dry ice for 3-8 hours, Buchner funnel to catch fats and waxes. then off to the rotovap, get it down to medium/low viscosity and pour out into boats and purge like BHO till the bubbles stop or up to 72 hours.

It will more than likely nucleate agtwr comin out of the roto, unless tour careful with tour temps. Seems tou just need to raise the temp in oven a few degrees and get a better pump or just flush the one i have. My 2 cents

the whole reason i asked this question is because i saw a comment in the r134a extraxtion thread and someone mentioned using a rotovap to get it under the threshold. SO that person must’ve been using a co-solvent. These are the answers I thought I would end up with and am glad I did.