Rotavap vs vacuum oven

Hey friendos,

I’ve been rocking the distillate for a while and just getting into the shatter/other concentrates game.

I see everyone talking about these 2-7 day vac oven purges. Then I also see the “babyfood and budder” guys rocking a 2-3h purge to hit the same ppm.

Curious why people don’t do a 40-50c rotavap under high vacuum for 2-3h to get a similar result as the slab and flip in the oven?

The only thing I could think would be nucleation? But hey, then just repackage it as htfse and sell it for just as much or more? Is this multi-day slab thing necessary?

1 Like

You’re welcome to experiment and report back to us, but there is going to be some rate of decarboxylation as a result of running that hot/under vacuum. 7 days in the oven is crazy, pulling a vac on it over night and finishing it the next day(with flips throughout) should be enough to purge slabs.

1 Like

hmmm ok so uour idea is to place oil recoverd from a bho rig in a roto vape ?
:grin: Hell of a mess you gona be looking at as soon as it starts muffening the shit show starts
Once it colides gota get it out of the flask hmm
Also vac on the roto is not even close to a oven with 2 stage

3 Likes

Yah, I’m rocking Pentane right now so it doesn’t fly off as violently. But even with butane just hit it with light vacuum and slowly increase it as you go. You shouldn’t have out of control muffining. It might just take a little more hands on control for the first bit.

I also don’t see any reason why we need to hit super deep vacuum to remove a volitaile molecule. It’s just a matter of surface area, volatility, vacuum, and agitation.

1 Like

I also think that the viscosity will be of such that it will ssticking to the side of the flask and stay put deu to centrifugal force a vacuum pan seems much easier

1 Like

You know i am one of your biggest fan s right !!!:fist_left:

1 Like

Oh yah :slight_smile:

I think slow speeds at 45-50c might give some good movement still.

Guess I’ll just have to try and find out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Please do !
Take some pics and be safe :fist_left:

remember the dab it where it lays rule.

I’ve had to remove vac oven doors before…

2 Likes

Is it just me or doesn’t 40-50c seems a bit high for other concentrates. While it’s easy to do them temps in the rotovap for material destine for distillate but badder and other types on concentrates I like to end at 40c Max and lower if possible. The nice thing about the other concentrates are the terpenes and the higher the heat…the more we lose

3 Likes

Yah 50c would be the highest. I was just thinking of a temperature to keep everything nice and runny. 40c would likely do just fine as well if it was a slow roll in the bulb. I’m running Pentane at the moment for high terp. At least until I figure out how to LLE with butane :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe throw in some stainless bearings into the flask… That might jack up surface area and agitation

I’d be careful rotating ballbearings in a rotovap.
Imo, glass and metal dont mix well.

2 Likes

Or some other warm balls. Not sure what else would work well. Glass ones probably lol

1 Like

meatballs :joy::joy:
I think glass marbels could work
I would go slow on rotation and slowly ramp speed

2 Likes

Meatballs or me’balls?

Sorry, had to lighten things up a bit

2 Likes

What are you charging?

1 Like

For you?

First 30 mins free