Rosin Fractioning / Rosin Carts

Is there anybody on here familiar with fractioning rosin. I am trying to create a rosin cartridge similar to that of DabLogic. I was told they actually fraction the terpenes off separate from the thc-A which I have no idea how they would do that. Does anybody have any insight into this?

6 Likes

probably with vac/ heat/carrier gas. there are lots of methods to volatilize and trap molecules.

1 Like

Repressing rosin at lower heat will leave the thc a and allow the terps to seep out, like the rosin seeps our from the flower or hash
Also, for rosin pens, I heard they bring to decarb temp for 20ish minutes then leave on a seedling May and it ends up clear and more fluid.
This is just what I heard, but he does rosin, and I don’t ,

9 Likes

oh yeah, like this?

I thought it might be something different that he was talking about.

15 Likes

No fractions. Use jar tech to get the consistency.

15 Likes

So basically just decarb with lid on in Vac Oven?

1 Like
7 Likes

Sexy tech!

1 Like

First time posting, just want to say I love the community here as well as the shared knowledge. It’s a beautiful thing. I was curious to see if anyone had any thoughts on using a forced air oven instead of heat mats for rosin sauces/ jams/ carts? With the evenly distributed heat it should work similarly, no? Also when people reference “cold curing” just how cold are we talking? Fridge, freezer, cryo? Thank you in advance for any input anyone is willing to give.

3 Likes

Hi @Chilly_Winter,
Lots of people I have seen use their vacuum oven as a heat box for recrystallizing cannabinoids. I could certainly see a fan creating a more even heat environment, but I haven’t experimented with that.If you are dealing with hydrocarbons you should consider a design that won’t ignite any vapors.
Cold crashing: use of cold to lower a solvents solubility and cause the dissolved compound to drop out of solution.Depending on the solvent and what you’ve got dissolved in it this range can vary widely.
For hydrocarbons typically you’'ll see dryice to ln2 temps used.

1 Like

if you get the rosin in a jar asap, usually it’s terpene profile is strong enough to work magic on it’s consistency. Especially if FF material cleaned up and low temp pressed. I sometimes quickly freeze product from the press to preserve, but curing in jar for the “rauce” is very favorable for bubble material pressed.

4 Likes

Im bringing my 5 gl bubble washing machine out of the moth balls and give this tech a whirl. Heres what I have found out so far. To fraction rosin is to make multi low pressure press’s at a low temp for 10 minute each. I.E. press’s 1-2&3 do at 110-120f press 3 160f and press 4 190f and what should be left over is a whiteish power substance of the purest form of ThcA.

6 Likes

160 is the magic number where I call it a day and start dabbing. You’re right it’s quite the ramp up of pressure. You can do it with your hands and a HF 20ton safely.

5 Likes

I’m going to play around with making carts using this method. I also hear Dabbing your 1st flake is a religious experience

1 Like

I have a Dab Press on a 10 Ton press. I started out making rosin via the hair straightener tech. I just ordered some Floraplex Diluent . And Ive contacted a buddy about elbow to wash.

1 Like

a fan in the oven is a “convection oven” just a air circulation system but it has many benefits and prevents coller zones in the oven cavity I know this from my powder coating oven lol they make heat zone sensors to ensure even heat throughout the oven for even powder coat curing

What Is a Convection Oven?

Very simply put, a convection oven has a fan and exhaust system that a regular oven does not. The fan and exhaust help blow hot oven air over and around the food, then vent it back out. As a result, this hot air surrounds the food so that it cooks evenly and more quickly.

A great way to describe this comes from Fine Cooking: “To help understand this, consider wind chill: When cold air blows against you on a blustery winter day, you feel colder more quickly than you do on a windless day of the same temperature.” The same applies with heat and convection cooking! Turn on the setting and the fan and exhaust kick into gear.

Why Should You Use the Convection Setting?

1. It cooks faster : Because hot air is blowing directly onto food instead of just surrounding it, food cooks about 25 percent faster in a convection oven.
  2. It cooks more evenly : Regular ovens can have hot spots, depending on where the heating element is, but the fan in a convection oven will circulate the air to help even out the temperature variances.
  3. It’s better at browning : Air in a regular oven can become a bit humid, as moisture can’t escape. Convection creates a dry atmosphere that caramelizes the sugars faster when roasting, so foods like meats and vegetables get browner, but the interiors stay moist.
  4. It saves energy : Because food cooks faster in a convection oven, and generally at a lower temperature, it’s a bit more energy efficient than a regular oven.
5 Likes

How do you like the 10 ton dabpress?

1 Like

I have a Northern Tool 10 ton press with the 4x7 Dabpress plates. I love my setup however I do plan on buying a Dake 10 ton for the pressure gauge.

1 Like

I’m looking at this one for my first press.
Just curious how their plates are. Do they heat up evenly?

2 Likes

it’s less than $500 for everything and allows for dripping.
It’s definitely using some of the best designs out there.
I’d buy and just temp gun heat check and dial in the device as best as possible and get going!
Especially if you’re just trying to have fire hash at home.

3 Likes