Researchers Say Vitamin E Likely Isn’t the Culprit in Vaping-Related Ailments

I take great pleasure in calling this out first. Oh, when will people listen.

10 Likes

Which has been my understanding as well, which made me ask why no CBD carts had been called out?

2 Likes

Wooooow, not subtle at all, haha.

4 Likes

This is exactly my fear as a number of companies (including my own) posit that use of cannabis derived terpenes (even if they’re present in concentrations multiples of that found naturally in flower) are completely safe.

From the Mayo Clinic’s study reporting that patients had a number of “caustic” or “chemical” type burns leads me to believe that these terpenes can be harmful if used/vaped to excess, especially to otherwise sensitive throat/lung tissue…

2 Likes

"Success in the cigarette business gives us the resources to pursue our ambitious vision.

Thanks to the imagination and perseverance of thousands of people at PMI, we have developed breakthrough products that are smoke-free and enjoyable.

And, we are selling them today. Millions have already given up smoking and switched to our new products, and this is just the beginning.

We’re investing to make these products the Philip Morris icons of the future."

Yeet, cigarettes are terrible, don’t stop giving us your money though.

1 Like

Too everyone who said it would be foolish investment to ruin the vape industry. Welcome to monopoly.

Let the games begin.

5 Likes

IQOS heats the tobacco just enough to release a flavorful nicotine-containing tobacco [vapor] but without burning the tobacco .”

" What is there? A nicotine-containing vapor – not smoke – that makes IQOS a smoke-free product that is appealing to smokers."
PMI

Yeah that thing is a vaporizer… that “key point” is a straight up lie.

1 Like

Is it possible that terps more harmful when vaped vs smoked? When smoked, I imagine that a good portion, if not most terpenes are destroyed from the combustion. When vaped, fAR more terpenes will reach tender lung tissue intact.

Terps degrade into other products at high temps

3 Likes

https://cen.acs.org/biological-chemistry/toxicology/Hunting-cause-mystery-vaping-illnesses/97/web/2019/10

Good read.

2 Likes

I’m sure something cropped up on my fb feed, saying some terps identified as being carcinogenic when vaped …

Does anyone else find it unusual that the FDA/CDC has made no mention whatsoever about finding residual solvents, pesticides, mycotoxins, etc? You’d think with their 500+ samples submitted they would have found some by now and that would assuredly be worth disclosing. They have been asked multiple times by reporters what types of things they have found in their samples and they keep suggesting that the amounts of liquid they are receiving in samples are too small to identify a lot. Which leads me to believe that they might not actually testing for the obvious culprits at all. The hydrogen cyanide article last week was unique as they independently purchased full, unused black market cartridges. Low and behold, 10/10 were dirty for the very chemicals that legal states knew to test for all along. Something tells me the answer might be much more obvious.

My question is this, can you realistically address each category of contaminants with a 3/4’s-used DankVape? It is my understanding that you need larger samples for certain impurities, with some labs saying they need as much as 0.5 grams or even a gram to identify certain chemicals. It is my understanding you barely need anything to identify larger components like THC (0.2 grams), which is all they are admitting to testing for.

But for the real nasty stuff, is it possible that they simple do not have large enough samples of liquid being submitted to even identify the known hazards like pesticides, residual solvents, mycotoxins, microbio, heavy metals, etc? I mean, seeing as these are literally required tests in legal cannabis states you would assume they’re testing for these things first, but are they?

2 Likes

This thread is about vitamin-e acetate. @qma is making the relevant point that people who cut their carts with this shit are shady miscreant-scumbags motivated by greed.

It’s irrelevant if it turns out vitamin-e is safe for inhalation. It doesn’t belong in distillate and if you think it’s okay, you are not welcome in this industry.

Go back to the coke game if you want to get away with cutting your product, cuz that shit ain’t gonna fly here homeboy.

4 Likes

Profits.

Very few people in this industry aren’t interested in that.

You can start a non-profit if you aren’t.

I don’t sell carts, so I have no skin in this game.

3 Likes

45 of your 54 total posts are from the past month and all are about vaping illness…and the majority of those posts are vindicating vitamin-e acetates role in this epidemic. :thinking: Either you have a vested interest in this drug cutting gooop business, or you’re super autistic about lung-injuries.

Either way, your relentless defense of vit-e is suspect and kinda spooky…

6 Likes

They’re prioritizing profit over quality of their product/satisfaction of their customers, because they are greedy.

We all love profits but that doesn’t mean the desire to succeed will lead to moral corruption… but yeah a lot of people suck.

3 Likes

I made an account just to reply to this post.

I’ve been lurking and reading throughout this post and I agree with you fully.

Op seems to have some vested interest in clearing the name of Vitamin E Acetate.

Studies that he has linked suggest that it is not off the table.

Other users have pointed out that Vit E can vaporize to an acid, and that the lungs not “drowning” in oils doesn’t really prove or disprove anything.

Ultimately until the cause is found there is absolutely NO BENEFIT to suggesting that Vit E is safe or not the culprit.

I definitely think medical professionals shouldn’t JUST look into Vit E. They should continue to be open to new ideas until they find something. But that still doesn’t mean it isn’t Vit E.

5 Likes

Overall, I really think the research done by Mayo on this has been lack lustre.

I have absolutely no idea why they are not publishing findings on what’s in carts currently on shelves. I believe they’ve hardly even published data on what was in the carts they were given.

Honestly, I’m pretty sure solving the whole problem will likely be as simple as buying a bunch of carts, testing them to see what’s in them, and doing some organic chem to figure out which things are obviously bad. At least that would give medical professionals the lead that they currently don’t have.

3 Likes

Just wanted to point out that in spite of the fact that terpenes are considered essential oils, essential oils aren’t really oils, in the traditional sense of the word, and in the context of what we’re talking about here, it may very well be the culprit. It’s too early to tell, but there is absolutely no reason to rule out terpenes. Especially not with the way he’s describing these injuries to look like toxic chemical exposure.

3 Likes

Down boy, down. :joy::rofl:

4 Likes