Removing vac grease from distillate

Would pfte vaccuum grease be removable with a centrifuge?

So I read just now it’s insoluble in all solvents so filter through celite or other medium.

2 Likes

Your potency is not going to be effected by the vacuum grease, vacuum leaks on the other hand…

Those works great!

1 Like

Analytical testing can only show you compounds you are looking for. Vac grease isn’t going to show up unless the analytical lab is testing for it. And without standards for calibration you won’t be able to get quantitive results.
There is no single analytical method/instrumentation that can show you every type of compound in every type of sample. Hope that is obvious, but I thought it should be mentioned as a reminder.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever used the vac grease feom usa labs, comes in a pee test looking cup but the specs seem to be on point and it is waaay cheaper than anyrhing. I only use apezion for the head and thermo all other gets light coating of dows corning

Stupid question. Do we need PTFE sleeves to use distillate? Or can we just use it directly on the glass joints. I tried just using distillate directly on the joints this time, and it all worked great until I tried to switch flasks, never got full vacuum again.

Probably gonna order some sleeves now

1 Like

I smeared it directly on the male joint, rotayed a few times, put the keck clamp on, and went to work.

2 Likes

interesting. I wonder if that is my problem at this point. Or if for some reason I have a leak further down the line.

It works, i just like the barrier it is easier to seporate a joint and they won’t permastick.

2 Likes

Someone told me a while ago, to look (at the greased or disty smeared joint) if i see any channels indicating a vac leak at said joint.

3 Likes

Bingo! Looks like I have to be careful with distillate sealing the thermo port on the head. Totally was the cause of the leak. I had to drop distillate on the top of the head/summit key to finally get the seal

THC percentages have dropped on this last batch. I am not getting the vac I need due to the leaky thermo port when using distillate as a seal there

Maybe I have to use grease there for now, till I get a head that doesn’t have that port.

1 Like

A trick i use for removing small amounts of vac grease (dow corning silicone based) is sonication. ill put my mason jar of distillate in the sonicator’s bath which is set to 40-50C, let it sit for 30 min or so, and the grease streaks will usually float to the top where i can pick it out with a spatula. this trick usually works well, sometime you get a stubborn streak that wont rise to the surface. but more times than not, it works for me.

I also should mention that now typically ill use distillate to lube my cold joints, and krytox on the hot joints.

3 Likes

That is basically what I am doing now.

Thanks for the tip on removing grease. Hopefully I never need to use it, but I probably will.

1 Like

Why not disty on all the joints? grease is a seroius health issue that this industry has yet to deal with.

6 Likes

Ive just never gotten around too it. I always seem to have another tube of krytox pop up somewhere x)

Ill start doing that today on my hot joints, fluoropolymer fever is nothing to mess around with. Thanks for your imput Soxhlet, appreciate it.

3 Likes

How much distillate are you using on your joints?

I don’t understand how disty on the hot joints would work. Seems that they would distill during the distillation and cause a vac leak. That is what was happening for me when I tried it on the thermo adapter.

2 Likes

I heat both joints briefly with a heat gun, and put a small smear on both joints, afterword i place a ptfe sleeve on the male joint and assemble the joints, gently rotate the joint til the hot disty coats both layers.
The only place I would reccomend grease is the joint on the cow where it must freely rotate under vac, no product comes in contact with that portion, and it is much cooler than the rest of the apperatus.

4 Likes