Relationship between stir speed and head temp

Could someone explain to me why my head temp decreases when I increase my stir speed? I am currently ramping up to the heads fraction.

1 Like

A possible explanation. Stir speed increase causes increase in evaporation rate, whcih in turn reduces temperature as the change of state (liquid to gas) requires energy to be absorbed.

5 Likes

Do you have any recommendations on how to get my head temp up? I have the mantle resting around 175 but the head has been slow to rise, wont go above like 39. I know there is normally a threshold of sorts and the head temp will spike up suddenly but I am just looking for any pointers.

It means you have finished off that fraction and it will continue to decline until the next fraction has enough energy. U want that to happen right before the cannabinoid fraction to ensure a cleaner cut. The increased stir speed pushed the last stuff that had just enough energy to make it to the top of the head, the rest stayed down and didnt maintain thr heat on the probe

5 Likes

Thanks so much! Really helped to clarify things for me.
Any advice on how to deal with/avoid the red speckled fraction that seems to like to coat the cow?

1 Like