Recovery process

Butane is not recovering to my dry ice from collection pot, keep getting butane dripping back into pot with no movement in my recovery tank sitting in dry ice, i off gas feom recovery tank and get a little movment taking hours to remove butane, i paid for consultant to teach and we were recovering in minutes! What am i doing wrong (aka my retarded freind who thinks he knows what to do after being show 1 fucking time) lol

1 Like

Heat the collection pot to 90f and use acetone in your dry ice to get a temp gradient.

Chase the cold!

Please be safe.

Edit: I heat my collection pot w sous vide in warm water bath

3 Likes

I have my collection part on a heater at 150°F
That’s why am so confused it’s not chasing the cold I am literally watching liquid butane drip back into my collection pot I think my recovery thing might be too big about it from extractor depot 2300 pounds of pressure it can hold

Pot* tank* i bought*

My collection pot is a jacketed vessel with warm water running through it from a pump

Post pics of the set up

1 Like

Get your tank to negative pressure.

4 Likes

I feel like the answer is right here.

2 Likes

I have two ½" handles on my jacketed base that I only use for the warm water recovery. So I had to find a way to make it so that when I take the base off the dry ice and Acetone that I can move the water through the base because it gets so frozen.

So what I do is, is I use a rag and wipe off the handles and I put a hose connected to my diaphragm pump to it and I apply a vacuum to the jacket while having the other shutoff opened so it just sucks in air. After a noticeable amount of frost is gone I shut it off and take that hose off.

Then I warm it up with the ghetto rigged sous vide and magnetic driven pump at 90f-98f

Tank is submerged entirely in dry ice topped off with acetone every now and then.

What pressure is your recovery tank at? In dry ice in 20 minutes should be at negative 30. Ive never needed a slurry for recovery. If your off gassing your butane recovery tank you probably got some moisture in there which can make a quick bottleneck. Post a pic of recovery

You don’t need your base in dry ice and acetone if you are using n2. Just a heads up (don’t know if you are setup for n2)

Just make sure to burp n2 from your recovery tank instead of the collection pot to avoid gas loss.

Set up isn’t rigged for n2 yet.

From everything said think hes not vacing the tank down before hes running bring the system to -30. before starting the run.

6 Likes

So hit them up again…if you don’t done learn it yet, their job is not complete. Given that they know your system already, they should be able to complete the refresher via video chat.

Given you (or your buddy) forgot, you might need to pony up a little more cash.

Maybe record that video chat.

5 Likes

How many times have you used your solvent?

Do you have a coil between your collection and tank?

Molsieves?

If the answers are; more than once, yes, and huh? I suspect water occluding your coil.

5 Likes

We are nitro pushing through and we are using a CRC But I didn’t know if that had anything to do with troubles recovering I believe we are just making a simple mistake that I cannot find keeping pressure in the recovery tank lower then collection vessel going to post a picture of set up

1 Like

Recovery tank usually staying around 50 well the other tank is usually higher anywhere from 60 to 90 because it will fluctuate due to the recovery taking so long but in the beginning it stays higher in the collection vessel it slowly goes down and then I have to of gas R covery tank to get it to boil but for some reason I keep getting butane drip back from my recovery tank into my final product witch also is making longer times We just went and got a pump today to try and speed up the process

1 Like

Adding a pump to the problem is not the solution if your consultant had your rig running correctly.

It might make it obvious which valve you’ve left closed (or where your ice is), but it will potentially do so by bringing the pressure on the back side of that valve to 350psi (Cmepol) or even 500psi (trs-21) before it shuts off.

Is your rig set to handle that?!?

4 Likes

Yes we have a consultant coming back today I’ve been telling my friend that’s what we need just to run through it one more time maybe he can help find the issue we are having we were running pretty effortlessly before thanks everyone for all the help wish the world worked like this community

Will post set up as well
Anyonne interested in Apex supercritical co2 extraction system fully automated