Recovery issues

I’m having a hell of a time during recovery, the gas is rising in my collection vessel all the way to the site glasses. I had solvent yesterday in my 6” collection vessel rise 3’. I’m recovering fairly quickly so far, would just love to hit a couple lbs a minute without sucking oil into my recovery tank. Any work around for this, or am I stuck throttling the collection vessel?

I plan to buy a new recovery tank soon, just trying to understand this better so I make the right purchase later.

My hot water bath on the collection vessel is around 85-90f and I’m using 2 injection coils for recovery.

you should be weighing the amount of butane in your system and it should never get that high.

2 Likes

Maybe keep your recovery open while your running so your collection pot doesn’t get to full.

I use a refrigerant scale and run about 20lbs of butane to 3lbs of trim. It’s only during recovery that it gets that high.

@BG305
That’s a great idea, but it can only be done if you have a second gas tank right? Or are you running back to the same tank your injecting with via the vapor port?

What I was meaning to say on the post is that the solvent is boiling and rising up my collection vessel several feet.

Correct you need 2 solvent tanks for this. Dont warm the solvent up so much and it won’t boil so hard.

1 Like

Can you still get break neck speed on recovery if your bath is around 70-75f?
Working on ordering the second solvent tank already.

Sure, if you have you recovery tank under DI you will create a vacuum and help the speed.

I use 2 injection coils for recovery right now getting me down to -110 but I’ve been leaving the tank sit on the refrigerant scale. It frosts up and still recovers quick. I’ll try the tank on dry ice as well and see how it goes next time. Thanks for the help homies!

I just started running passive and am having the same thing happen during recovery. It will rise up to 3’ if i dont throttle. Did you every figure this out? For now iv just been throttleing recovery and lowering the collection temp to 75. Thanks

Extend your spot where tour recovery valve is. I has tbe same problem yts ago when trying to run multiple pumps and a mk4, all i had to do was add a 16” piece to my recovery manifold to avoid sucking in oil

1 Like

Everyone said that my collection vessel needed to be larger. Not the answer I was looking for… I’ve just been dealing with throttling it, until I can afford a larger collection.

It makes sense though my 6” collection vessel can rise 3’
So if a 12” collection vessel is 4 times the volume as a 6” then the rise would only be 9”??

I’m spitballing here.

I had thought of that before. Maybe with a sight glass at the top of the extension so you could still monitor the flow

That was only on my collection tank, look at the mk4 from terp extractors if they still make it this was 10yrs ago, bur the 4way piece that all i extended.

1 Like

I have a 6x36 collection which was tall enough while running active. Even adding another 6x24 to my collection may not be enough im thinking at the rate it rises. Your saying to solve this would require a 12x24 or 12x36 possibly?

That’s what I’ve been told. I too use a 6x36, sometimes I add another 6x12 spool to it depending on the run.

More surface area should help decrease the rise. I’m going to go with a 12x24 after this so I can just open the valve and not have to babysit it.