RDWC vs Butch Bucket vs AutoPot AWFT

The mag drive pump body is air cooled without contact with the solution as apposed to an inline pump which will dissipate the heat within your reservoir , reflective infrared insulation is especially important for hps

Been running straight DWC 54 5 gal bucket setup for about 2 years and no heat from the air stones. Thought about RDWC but don’t like all my pots tied together. All the RDWC setups I looked at your plants are too far away from each other during veg and wastes lighting and space.

1 Like

I think air stones only make heat when your air temp is higher than the res temp. Idk what light you use, but it is much less of a problem when running led, bc your air is cooler.

My rdwc was always a custom lid over some sort of tank or container, so I could put the plant sites where I wanted.

1 Like

How are you plumbing the mag drive outside the res? I assume you use grommets and make your own holes? I never trusted myself to pull that off without a leak.

Scratch everything else and make yourself a RDWC system. Chiller and current culture nutes with co2 if you can. Will be the easiest Grow you can do and extremely prolific On top of that.

1 Like

If you have found what works well for you in your climate stick with it, you are only just outside the recommend range which if great if you can maintain it year round
My climate is equivalent to socal not sure how different your average ambient is to there?
Maintain a target root zone temperature of 68 to 75 °F (20 to 24 °C). Lower temperatures favor establishment of Pythium dissotocum and higher temperatures favor development of Pythium aphanidermatum. At Cornell University, we have found that use of a water chiller to reduce hydroponic pond temperatures to about 68 °F is an effective way to reduce, but not completely eliminate, Pythium aphanidermatum from ponds with baby leaf spinach. Low dissolved oxygen levels in hydroponics have also been reported to increase Pythium infection. Therefore it is important to ensure adequate aeration so as to achieve greater than 6 ppm dissolved oxygen and ideally saturated dissolved oxygen (about 8- 9 ppm O2) in nutrient hydroponic solutions.

1 Like

Threaded barbs with backing nut and gasket

Uniseal for PVC pipe

2 Likes

So I spoke with my mentor and he says to do a simple top drip system, that im not ready for rdwc since im not pro enough. and he wont be able to give me the attention i need lol.

I went to the hydro store they told me it will cost me 550 dollars to buy a 4x8 flood tray and a table. i need help with this people.

Frame it in lumber and plywood, then line with a pond liner. You can make a drain from a kitchen sink drain. Depending on how deep it needs to be, synthetic decking boards can work as sides.

1 Like

Do you mind drawing a picture i got no idea. :frowning:

I cant really tell you how to do carpentry if that is not your thing. I have made flood containers out of kiddie pools, too, but they are round. The kitchen sink drain is a very useful. You can put them in anything and plumb pvc to it underneath.

3 Likes

Hang on your mentor told you not to use the dutch buckets but dwc instead now he says not to use. Dwc but a drip? Why would you go buy a flood table if you have the ducth buckets already?

2 Likes

I say run with what you have for now. Do the auto pot system on one side, and run the Dutch buckets on the other. Might as well if you already have all the stuff to do it that way. Then while you get the hang of those systems, spend some time to figure out what you want to upgrade them to.

Seems rdwc is the state of the art in many ways. I take like how @Autumn_Ridge_Hemp set his up in tubs. You might decide on something totally different in the end, who knows?

No matter what you choose, take notes, learn, and have fun! Don’t over think it too much. With all the choices it can be overwhelming choosing just one style of growing, and the great thing is, you don’t have to pick only one!

4 Likes