Rate this Chiller, if you're cold enough.

How useful is this Thermo Neslab m150 chiller? Can it be upgraded to replace icing down tanks and freezing columns?

Ill rate it for indoor laboratory use only.

3 Likes

Like running a small SPD set up? Paid 500 they’re around 4k online.

No not good for spd but
Very good for rotavap

5 Likes

Chiller for SPD?

to run your condenser at 130C+?

6 Likes

According to the specs, it’ll get down to -15c @60 psi and cycle 2gpm. I just started running a CLS a year ago and have been able to launch a relatively successful extract brand. Which has been inspiring me to learn the craft as diligently as I can while still producing. What I lack in knowledge I also lack in ego. I’m just trying to make the best of handme downs and learn as I go. I’ve got a 20L roto vap and most of a crude SPD set up neither witch I’m ashamed to admit I Don’t know how to use yet and was just curios if it would be serviceable there. I was originally hoping it would be enough to chill a jacketed solvent tank to get me out of trucking ice around.

2 Likes

You also want to know how many watts of cooling at -15 or whatever your target temp is.

As @Roguelab said, it should do a decent job on your rotovap, and will certainly substitute for and ice/water bath on a smaller cls.

Most are aiming for much lower temps on their cls.

Edit: the “chiller for SPD?” Is not solely aimed at you. It is a common misconception. If 1/2 dozen others are also disabused of the notion, does that help? I agree I could have pickEd different words.

3 Likes

Perfect, I can work with that and its 5054w@-15c. So after my pump to the tank I have two coils in ice baths if I were to procure a 100lb jacketed ss, tank this should be sufficient to chill it lower than 34f?

1 Like

Huh?? lower than 34F
That is a very tough temp for a singel stage cooling unit
Depends on the gas it runs on