Quick question about cbd distillate

Usually when we get our distillate it is completely solid. We just bust a piece off and send to the lab for testing. This time it is half solid, half liquid. I may be thinking too hard about this, but in theory should the solid be the same as the liquid as far as cannabinoid content goes? I’m wondering if I could break a chunk off to send to the lab, or if it should be heated and stirred first. Thanks for any help

If the disty is half solid and half liquid its definitely not all the same. It’s likely diluted with diluent or the fractions were improperly cut, or the distillation didn’t happen at a deep enough vacuum causing volatiles to get into the main fractions.

1 Like

How long ago was it made? It may just take some extra time to see complete crystallization

2 Likes

It was finished a couple weeks ago. I’m assuming it was just partially crystalized due to time. I went ahead and brought it to 160f and stirred it good before we took the sample. Just in case.

That just in case probably saved you some trouble when you formulate and retest whatever you are making. Areas that have nucleated will have higher potencies than what is still liquid. If you tested the high potency nucleation, when you heat, homogenize, and formulate your product, you will find that you are below your target potency. In certain states, if your potency is off by too much, it invalidates your control studies. No fun!

2 Likes

That is exactly what I was curious about. Thank you for the info.

1 Like

Not necessarily a rip-off, distillate often crystallizes like that, often given enough time it will form a complete block. Def have to homogenize to get consistent dosing, as people above mentioned

1 Like

I have it half crystallized all the time… takes time for the entire jar to crystallize.

1 Like