Questions regarding the purification process of THC Shatter through Short-Path Distillation and Winterization.

Greetings!
I am very new to this industry and I have some general questions regarding the distillation/purification process of THC and CBD, and I am also interested in purchasing products such as THC distillate and CBD wax. Keep in mind that my education only extends as far as my Internet research and chemistry class has brought me, so please bear with me and consider that your input is incredibly valuable to me. I have a lot of questions, but my hopes are that this community as a whole is able to answer or provide resources for my questions and consequently and start my career.

I have been looking into starting a short path distillation set up and winterizing shatter for purposes of testing the process of creating clear golden THC oil for vaping purposes.

SHORT TERM GOAL:
Purify orange shatter so that it is clearer and more potent for usage with minimal glycol, aiming for translucent gold with the cheapest startup as possible (maybe just ethanol winterization?)

LONG TERM GOAL
Purify orange shatter into PURE clear golden/yellow THC distillate for vaping purposes, adding terpines but no glycol. I also plan on doing this with pure CBD further down the line.
————

Unfortunately, I’ve found that simply combining PEG400/300 (glycol) with my orange THC shatter is not giving me the color (brown finished product) or flavor (glycol is gross!) that I am seeking, even after adding various terpines. That being said, I am unable to create strong cartridges without a severe impact to color and viscosity (too much wax = dark brown and too thick to vape in my carts) My product is too dark meaning I must add more glycol to make it clearer, affecting potency and taste. However, there is still a large demand for these cartridges and I need something to hold me over until I can start manufacturing real distillate cartridges with no glycol added.

I have a series of questions relevant to my short and long term goals.

Short path distillation :

What is the purpose of a condenser and chiller?

Do I need to have a chiller?

Are chillers typically connected to a water pump and connected to the condenser tube?

Do I need a vacuum?

Can I use SPD to purge solvent after winterizing?

Should I winterize before distilling, and do I add the purged winterized product into input of SPD?

For SPD’s with cow connections, how does product separate into different flasks? (I’m aware that weight has something to do with this but I am still confused how it knows what flask to enter)

I often see a long wide tube with a flask underneath in kits, what is this? I’ve included a picture where this item is located on the right side.
Should I use acetone, or ethanol? (I am unsure where to find ethanol).
If I simply winterize my shatter using ethanol, dry ice and evaporation via heat or recycling still, what changes will I notice in consistency (can I create a thick, vapeable oil if I winterize it enough?) I want to verify that I understand this correctly.

And lastly, am I able to create a small SPD rig for under $1000 for testing purposes? Should I buy a kit or individual items? Is eBay to be trusted, or should I purchase elsewhere?

Thank you in advance to those who wish to help me. I have ambitious dreams to own a large cannabis manufacturing company within the next 15 years, with efforts to aid those who deal with physical and mental pain as my mother is physically disabled with severe pain and has debilitating depression and anxiety. I have thought about this since highschool and now I have decided to take a leap of faith and follow my interests.

I think you have a ton more research if your asking these basic questions. If your serious about getting into this industry, i think your gonna want to answer these on your own. Otherwise your not gonna know why a particular answer makes sense.

Here is some basic answers to your questions in BOLD
What is the purpose of a condenser and chiller?

The condenser is to condense the vapors whether be volitles or cannabinoids coming from the boiling flask.
The Chiller is to cool or heat the condenser

Do I need to have a chiller?

NO You can use a warm water and a aqurium pump on a budget

Are chillers typically connected to a water pump and connected to the condenser tube?

Chillers are normally circulators so no need for a pump

Do I need a vacuum?

Of course a very strong one capable of ultra low micron

Can I use SPD to purge solvent after winterizing?
Why not; your just distilling of the solvent…vac is not needed

Should I winterize before distilling, and do I add the purged winterized product into input of SPD?

Yes you want the cleanest input possible

For SPD’s with cow connections, how does product separate into different flasks? (I’m aware that weight has something to do with this but I am still confused how it knows what flask to enter)

Seems like a preference…some people like to work a tri cow system…some like wide bore…some like single cow. It depends on the money you got and your knowledge

I often see a long wide tube with a flask underneath in kits, what is this? I’ve included a picture where this item is located on the right side.

LOL looks like a cold trap to me…you see this is what im taking about. You havent even done enough research to properly identify the different parts of the short path…Now you want to operate one?

Should I use acetone, or ethanol? (I am unsure where to find ethanol).

Liquor store is a good place to start LOL

If I simply winterize my shatter using ethanol, dry ice and evaporation via heat or recycling still, what changes will I notice in consistency (can I create a thick, vapeable oil if I winterize it enough?) I want to verify that I understand this correctly.

And lastly, am I able to create a small SPD rig for under $1000 for testing purposes? Should I buy a kit or individual items? Is eBay to be trusted, or should I purchase elsewhere?

You could or you can buy american glass from one of the site sponsors and probably have all these question answer as well by them

I just want to give you a little bit about my background. Ive been in this game nearly 30 years. I got multiple graduate degrees from top tier colleges. Ive probably dedicated more time to this hobby then my WHOLE education times 2 or 3. IF this were a school id have multiple Phd’s in cannabis growing and concentrate making.

You need to dedicate your life to this if your serious. Do you really think people are going to hand feed you all this information? There is so much good information here and on ICmag for concentrates. I suggest you start reading homie! Good luck. There is always room for more people to be in this industry but it takes a certain passion and love for this to succeed!

I hope this didnt come off sounded like a dick. I just want you to understand the complexity of this industry. As much as money can buy you into this industry. Its only passion thats gonna keep you successful! Good Luck on the journey!

7 Likes

Acknowledging that you don’t know, is a decent first step…

I’d recommend the “I’d like to buy a clue” option.

eg taking a class from the likes of Extract Academy

or see if you can’t convince @future to have a knowledge sesh in your neck of the woods.

4 Likes