Question on pouring

When starring down Recollection tank during final recovery to pour your concentrate what is a good indication that pour is ready and to prevent purging too long on closed loop?

Depends on end product. There are visual cues for sure—also good to check your pressure and use it as an indicator of when to pour

7 Likes

Preferably enough solvent left in pour for diamonds

Elaborate more on pressures. I’ve been running for about a month now so not very experienced

More solvent left in oil = higher vapor pressure inside the column during recovery.

You can very roughly assess the amount of solvent is left based on pressure during recovery, but this is going to be highly dependent on the specifics of your setup and end product so it’s tough to give actual pressures to look for. You will have to determine this for yourself through trial.

3 Likes

I usually do most of the purge in the collection and scrape it. but last night I poured and it got all foamy. I havent vacced it yet

These very from system to system. Temperature and flow rate will affect pressure

3 Likes

on pressure- I switched to a pure butane tank. Ive lost some volume running but still have another tank. Its labelled propane but its mixed because I used to refill with whipits ??? Im gonna heat it to 80 and connect a gauge and compare it to the vpd chart. My tanks are carbon so dont have gauges mounted. I need that last gauge to see if the nitrogen is in there.

what he said ^ :dart:
Sight glass is the easiest way, but I’ve never had a sight glass on a collection vessel in any CLS that I’ve run.
The pressure in your collection is a great indicator.

2 Likes

I run an x10 mse with nitrogen assist and 70/30 butane solvent ratio. I’m assuming from looking down sight glass that as soon as bubbles start to turn yellow pour should be ready?

Retracted original comment

Otssc has better instructions

2 Likes

Watch the wax that is flowing down wall in collection it will start to look more like concentrate and less runny

1 Like

That’s pretty close.

Assuming you’ve got a sight glass and can see the puddle.

I always advise new techs that just like wine, hash that is almost ready to pour has noticeable legs.

Literally rivulets of hash running back to your puddle from the bubbles…

Look for little arch shaped features all the way around the puddle. Top of arch is the order of 5-10mm from the puddle when ready to pour…atLeast on the last set I put together.

Actual temp in your recovery pot will affect viscosity, so you’ll have to figure out the correct “leg length” for your pour.

12 Likes

Close your recovery near the end every 5 minutes and review what’s happening in the collection pot. You should notice an effect when near saturation point.

1 Like

Without a sight glass, you’ll need to fly volumetrically off your pressures, and you’ll need to dial in when to cut these procedurally. You pressures, from run to run in the same system, are an interlock of temperature, solvent saturations, gas blend, and amount of product in your cup. As you dial in when to cut pressures, try to keep variables the same and cut at different pressures.

If you have a sight glass, in addition to above, the visual indicators are important. It’s an experiential thing that you have to learn by doing.

For diamonds, you need to cut them wet. It’s one of the harder drops to make, and the afterwards with high saturation and pressurized vessels makes it less safe outside the right environment. It’s not a product I’d be focusing on as a beginner or without the proper work environment. Your cut should be cool when you drop or you’ll have a dangerous over boiling pot of gas.

2 Likes

Lol thank you very much found that out the hard way a few days ago. I’m working in safe environment with sight glasses and have been working just with trial and error

1 Like