question about brokers. Did I get robbed?

background:
I have a farm and wanted to farm and etract hemp/CBD. I used a “broker service” to get my full set up of machines. Meaning a company just ordered the machines I needed for a complete set up plus training on all of my machines. (Cup15, cryo freezer,cryo filter,rotovap,shortpath,remediation set up and isolate setup) I was told it was relatively easy enough and 2 people could operate the machines which would pump out roughly 7 liters of product a day. I needed to take bimass from plant material all the way to thc remediated distillate and isolate. (due to the laws in my state no THC is allowed) I had a budget of $150k. The total of all the machines ended up around 170K. which I made happen and got the machines. besides that I didnt get everything that was said to not have any lead time until 2 months later, the “thc remediation process” that was sent was a chromotography colomn some carbon buckets magnesium silicate and a large 40L recieving last. Totaling around 3k. The training I was charged was for 5k for 3 days. It ended up being 1.3 days and I had to book the flight twice because the trainer moved from SD to Sacramento from the time the ticket was bought to the time of training. (extra 500)
actual complaint #1:
The remediation setup I would like returned for my money back as I called the company (summit) the broker ordered it from and they said that would NOT be the items needed to remediate THC. Also speaking with many experts they said that isnt even close to enough of a set up to remediate anything especially THC the chemicals are all wrong.I beleive my broker misordered for me and it is the brokers responsibility to return the items due to their only job , and the reason I paid more for their broker fee/knowledge. Also I had no training on the remediation process (besides that it is impossible with the set up I got)

BRokers argument: Summit will not return the items therefor i am stuck with them.

Actual complaint #2: I paid 5 K plus 2 flights (one cancelled) and lodging for training on my machines in person. I got training on only my rotovap and the filter, and for about 1/2 of the short path process before he left. He spent most of the time setting up the machines (he asked us to NOT touch anything or set up until he got there when I asked him if I should have everything set up for him so we maximize our time) I could have set everything up myself.

Brokers argument: (after the fact) says training is 5k a day and CEO said I should have had the machines set up. (definately was ordered not to.) Also the representative spent time on the phone with me after via skype trying to help me figure out why nothing was working.

Besides that , the capabilities of the machines were grossly over promised. Tthey said 7 liters a day of distillate, I can make 1.5 every 3 days. Also some advice the CEO gave us to change blew our short path pump and set up in a complete wrong direction and gave us advice that numerous scientists and experts in the cannabis field have literally laughed at.
Since all this… we have figured out our machines and gotten it down enough to not lose our families life savings, but we feel the chromotography set up and at least half of the training should be refunded. After spending 170K with them we feel a fair refund would be just that.

I want to see what the community thinks… We are just a small farm trying to run a family farm to table type operation to help veterans with cbd for ptsd.
we are 100% disabled Veteran owned

1 Like

Did you put all of this deal into a contract on paper?

If yes, and they didn’t deliver relative to your agreement, get some money back.

If no, probably SOL.

That column can be used to remediate color and pesticides, but probably not THC…

4 Likes

What is in the contract? I’m not in the business whatsoever, but that’s what I’d start with.

The remediation of thc for instance, if the contract between you and the broker stated they would provide all equipment, and training, needed for the process and what was provided is insufficient, or just plain wrong, isn’t that a breach of contract right there?

Just shooting out ideas on what I’d look at personally. You seem fair, and if what you’ve said is the case, not an unreasonable request I’d say.

More knowledgeable people than I will most likely chime in.

Good luck!

@Future ninja’d me!

1 Like

No contract just text and email traffic with agreements. Yes that is what we keep hearing, unfortunately its not what we ordered, we only wanted THC remediation.

I have text and email traffic with the agreements. Unfortunately I have talked with old biz partners (not cannabis related) of the CEO, all looks to be shady. I may have to go legal with this…

It was your responsibility to do due dilligence. Since you paid for it you explicitly agreed. Harsh lesson maybe but unlikely forgotten.

Sadly without a contract your probably going to have to eat this one.

Who was this broker tho?

1 Like

An agreement is an agreement. Signed documents not required.

5 Likes

thanks @blackie, good to know.

does seem to leave an opening for:

dude, somebody must have hacked my email, I never said that summit gear would work for THC remediation…

@Marisa are you willing to tell us who you were dealing with? If you’ve gotten additional information that suggests you’re not the only one who has suffered at the hands of these folks, actually warning the rest of the community would seem appropriate.

4 Likes

He knew he was entering into this agreement with no contractual obligations, this was a predatory consult plain and simple.

Sorry this guy ripped you off, but you really should have consulted a lawyer to draft a contract that clearly stated what both parties were offering and under what conditions.

1 Like

Play dumb with the broker and keep them talking since anything they admit to at this point could be helpful. Bring all of your paperwork to a lawyer. Just because you don’t have a contract doesn’t mean you should give up. A lawyer won’t cost a lot in the grand scheme of things for them to tell you they think you have a case or not.

I’m sorry you encountered shitty people early on. At least you can learn how to make the best of what you’re working with by coming here

4 Likes