Quality control

What do you guys think about testing the yield % of a new trim source by testing a partial sample amount weighed and bho extracted, Then after purging amount subtract a 15% fat loss for ethanol extractions.

I think it’s the only way to go if you have the budget. To really know what’s going on you should test a sample before filtration to capture what’s actually lost during filtration. You can also test your different filter media’s to figure out where it all goes.

1 Like

Wasn’t to concerned about filter media as much as yield percentages when buying from a new source. For example open blasting a sample before buying to roughly measure yield content for quality control. Shoot, depending on color one might even be able to decide if you’re going to have wash/scrub it or not. It’s all going to be ethanol extracted.

Why not use your solvent of choice to do your test extraction?

Deliberately comparing apples to oranges seems bananas…

Doing a pilot extract with your solvent of choice is certainly the best way to avoid contaminating your gear & solvent with pesticides

4 Likes

The trim is coming from a Reputable source. There’s just some variations in strains. thought it might a quick portable way to check the THC content And not contaminate any expensive equipment by just blast testing a 100g samlpe for yield results on site. pesticide remediation later if necessary.

I’m just suggesting that extracting that 100g with ethanol will give you a better idea of how the trim will extract with ethanol.

Are you able to remediate pesticides?seems to me it’s much easier to avoid them (walk away from contaminated biomass) than remove them.

A pilot extraction is a great idea. I’m suggesting you could get more data from it. Maybe you don’t want or need that data, but others would likely find it useful.

How about: if you don’t test for pesticides, how can you call it quality control??

5 Likes

Wouldnt lab testing of the biomass tell you everything you need to know?

Biomass can test clean and still have enough pesticide on it for extracts to fail.

Different solvents will concentrate different pesticides.

Which is why I recommend a pilot extraction with the solvent of choice…and having that lab tested

Data gathered extracting with butane to approximate potency could certainly be gleaned by testing biomass for potency

4 Likes

Yeah you’re right dood. Designing a small portable ethenol xtr kit. I was thinking along the lines of something small $ portable, why I brought up the bho, been running to some fungicides.
Anyone use O3 in washes? I’m gonna try it.

1 Like

a canning jar, a french press, and a counter-top distillation unit. less than $200.

you can skip the distillation unit and use a $5 thrift store rice cooker if you don’t want the solvent back.

Using iso instead of EtOH will reduce your costs, but you should be using less than $20 worth of beverage grade ethanol for each extraction anyway.

if the object of the game is pesticide detection, then using fresh solvent each time makes good sense.

4 Likes

Thanx bud for your solvent advice. I got a little 5 galwater still that I modified to make personal terpenes, its 5 gallons and I could fit my Hot plate with Stirrer and a heating element. I’ll have to make a small kit like what u were talking about for the buyers and they can do it.
Best l-limone ever from the trees all over my gmas old neighbor hood. Tasted like lemon skittles

underneath. It’s game on with The known contaminants. I just wanted opinions on a fast portable idea compare thc levels the sellers “guaranteed yield” claims. Open tube, filter and a can, peeps don’t stay too long when they’re picking up A ton.

Set up in a relative’s garage, it was cluttered had to test it!

Gotcha. Unless you’re packing the oven with you, I guess they’ve got nothing to hang around for :man_shrugging:

of course I wasn’t expecting you to bring grannies lemons and a terp stripping still :rofl:

1 Like

If you are just gonna do very small pilot extractions, have you thought of just using a small still like one that makes distilled water?

:wink: I steam stilled her invasive Spearmint too and cascade hops for me mercyne that I planted at her crib. The spearmint was sweet unlike peppermint, Straight up tasted like Wrigley’s. I’ve done grapefruit too but it has to be fresh otherwise it’ll tastes rancid. deemed 2oxidize distillate fast, observed in UV’s especially. Im thinking Grapefruit Terps Should be avoided with certain medications that label so. I’ll do some more lemons this season I want people to try it For a personal flavor tictr. I don’t know what hybrid of lemons that R all through her neighborhood but it’s the best lemon flavor I’ve experienced.
:raised_hand::point_down:

Totally crossed my mind

1 Like

I saw a guy on youtube use one with some good results.