Putting CRC in material column

Create channeling via literal separation or funneling a channel. It’s easier to layer you filter media with wet slurry tek, then cover with stage 1 filter then continue to pour next layers & so on, garuntees you won’t have channeling & allows for easy seperation of certain medias you may want to reuse if applicable :call_me_hand:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

whats considered a stage 1 filter?

So would I need a small micron filter or is 8um sufficient??

Just to clarify. We have the 2 inch filter section with a metal filter plate. On top of that we put the filter paper. Then pack the B80 then put another filter plate on top of that? Does it matter if it’s a filter plate or a triclamp mesh gasket?? And just to be clear I am referring to a filter plate and a sintered filter as the same thing.
Then I pack my material on top of all that??

Stage 1 from summit.

2 Likes

Don’t rupture the b80 cake you pack down.

2 Likes

Stack some 8um papers together to get a smaller um. Toss the media in, settle it down and make it flat. Then pack your biomass on top. And pack the hell out of it.

Underneath the powder add more filtration including your sintered disc. These are fail safes.

4 Likes

Use a vibrating instrument to evenly settle cake as solvent packs down, 2-3 times flush through then next layer :wink:

Everyone’s aboutta have toys In the lab now :joy:

Chromacondoms :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: the ring for you column

So…I load my powder while pulling a vacuum from below. B80 settles into a very nice cake, with no need for packing.

4 Likes

After squeezing it between the filter and the bio, I don’t think I’ll ever look back and have a regular crc again… sooo easy.

For throughput nothing slows you down more than having to break your crc down for however many tubes in a day. This way it’s all done when the bio is stuffed in the column. Makes for a bigger mess, when dumping the column. But it’s worth it to me

6 Likes

I’d agree with you for sure, until yesterday and I tried packing between the filter and bio. Game changer bro. This is the j12 way. The media has more retention and absolutely won’t blow by

3 Likes

I use to love the spoon pour trick but I always advise a filter pour now. I mean if I can take a 400mm trolley & not disturb the bed I think it’s dammmmmmmn food enough for a hochstrom or column :joy::man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

That’s how I started doing it. I hate it. It’s a real pain in the ass.

You think the oil laden solvent has better availability to the adsorbents when the CRC is at the bottom of the column?

And you can still load those powders into the column under vacuum to make a nice cake…

2 Likes

I didn’t load them under vacuum and packed bio on top like the hulk. Worked like a dream.

Having to unload and reload 6 different crc’s throughout the day really slows shit down. And running several columns over the same crc is a shit show… always 1 tube that isn’t crc’d like the rest and needs to be redone

3 Likes

Do you pre soak your media with same residual solvent you’d be running or complete dry pack?

Dry pack. And frozen on a bed of dry ice

3 Likes

Soak with your hydrocarbon to create a easy residual you won’t have to force the solvent to find its way through. Yeilds my pickle

1 Like

Dude the yields were 17-20% on trim… I don’t think there’s an issue with running this way.

I hear what y’all are concerned about. But for me it’s the process flow. I can rack tubes all day back to back and not have to worry about the crc.

To each his own. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

No doubt, never said a problem with how you run, just some friendly advice if any.

2 Likes

does it really work like this or do u just have couple 8um papers now to go through?

1 Like

Only if the papers are stacked tight on top of one another without gaps.

At least that’s how I understand it.
:man_shrugging:

If not, I’ve been incredibly lucky.

3 Likes