Purple ice in bho

Has anyone ever seen purple ice in their platter after a closed loop run… ? solvent was chilled to -10 F before examination.

You running live? Was the bud purple?

1 Like

Could have extracted anthoycanins alongside everything else that was pulled out if it was purple buds

2 Likes

@Raenius …that’s three votes for wet purple buds in the extraction tube, and frozen water with extracted anthocyanins in the receiver.

can you confirm the input and moisture level?

1 Like

I have seen purple ice but it was a long time ago. It depends on the mushroom. With Liberty Cap the ice justs melts without melting right before your eyes if you look long enough (about six microseconds) … Some of those larger white ones though here in Oregon? Definitely you will see purple ice, neon fish swimming at light speed, and absolutely everything seems funny.

What color were the mushrooms you ate before the purple ice appeared? It could be anthrocyanatrip compounds… did you giggle a lot? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

hahaha

Fresh Frozen trim loaded in a prechilled tube. The chilled again before extraction. And chilled again after extraction to lower pressure in loop before pour off. Ambient temps are really high at the moment due to summer kicking in.
During pour off is when I noticed large Chuck’s of purple/blue ice. My guess was chlorophyll/pigment from the purp trim.

Yes. Live. Purple trim from bud…

This is a extraction forum. But thanks. :wink:

chlorophyll is green, anthocyanins are red to purple depending on structure and pH. both are water soluble. which is why we guessed you were doing a live resin run with purple plant material.

either your solvent was water saturated before you started or you managed to achieve that during your run (more likely). you should probably dry your molecular sieves and then dry your solvent before your next run.

2 Likes

Thank you! I currently don’t use a dryer at all. Next upgrade!

then your solvent was saturated BEFORE your most recent live run.

drying it before using it again will reduce the number of off target compounds in your extract.

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/molecular-sieve-filter-drier.html looks to be more expensive than the parts required to build it, but I’m not going to put the parts in a cart to figure that out. if you’ve already got a spare spool, you’re ahead. flat caps work just as well as the more expensive domed ones shown.

without valves, the gauge can also be omitted. if you valve it, you should have a gauge and a PRV.

I use a mix of 3A & 4A sieves. Haven’t looking into the 13x.

edit: I’m a liar…I used glacier tanks…BVV is just too hard to navigate these days.

edit: note that the JIC fitting is the wrong size. it needs to match the endcap (and your hoses). BVV has the correct one. and the molecular sieves. you can get this done for $250.

4 Likes

Thank you for the info. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Custies want dat purple ice.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on passing the solvent through some 3A sieves after it has soaked the material to prevent any water and water solubles in the collection pot?

I have often seen people drying the solvent prior to the recovery pump but this would not prevent any moisture from entering the extract.

where would you expect the water solubles to go once you removed their water?

what temp was your solvent when you applied it? was -10F the best it all got?

most try to avoid pick-up of water by keeping everything as cold as possible. dry-ice temps or better usually. I used used -80C freezers on my material and -30C solvent (which is what my chiller could manage) on my material.

The dryer is to stop you starting your next run with wet solvent. I imagine most folks doing live resins are baking their sieves out at the end of the day so it’s ready to go again in the morning.

They also keep water out of your recovery tank. Does your solvent tank have a sight-glass that would allow you to see ice in there? Or is it steel and at risk of rusting out because it has water in it?

I remember turning my steel tank upside down for a day or four to collect the water and burp it out the gas port before I learned the joys of molecular sieves. I might have learned that from the local HVAC store, which is where the guys ahead of me were buying their pumps/tanks/hoses/gauges.

2 Likes

Good point I had not thought about where the water solubles would go in that situation; I thoughtlessly assumed they would get trapped with the water but this seems wrong as they may not be bound to the sieves like water molecules. I guess they would end up suspended in your extract either way but atleast it would keep the extract dry.

Although it seems that if dry solvent goes in the amount of water pick up is negligible if run at cryo temps so drying during recovery would be just as good as drying prior to the collection chamber

that’s the general consensus. keep it cold, and the water can’t get involved. not certain it’s correct. but it seems fairly consistent with the limited data I’ve bothered gathering on the subject.

yeah, I believe the water solubles would either ppt and gum up in your dryer, or be washed through by the hydrocarbons and end up in your extract as particulates. I am guessing wildly on that one…

2 Likes

Hahahaha I giggled alot