Purchasing from Fisher/Sigma

Does anyone have experience creating an account and purchasing chemicals from some of the big chemical suppliers out there?

If you go through Emerald Scientific, they can verify you and you’ll be able to buy a lot of the relevant products through them. Sometimes prices are high for shipping

Hmmm I just created an account with them but it looks like they don’t have what I need. I’m looking for very specific synthesis reagents

Emerald will help you get it, if it can be gotten. Email their sales team and you’ll be helped pretty quickly. Just keep in mind once you purchase the reagent they’ll often list it on their website for other people to buy!

I see. Thanks

If either of those can’t get it smith scientific supply will & doesn’t list it on their websites. Very helpful folks

Sigma does take around 1-2 weeks per correspondence & their customer service is mehhh for folks in our industry

Smith supply on the other hand goes above & beyond for ours

They have a location in Vegas but if that location doesn’t have what you need, their folks have a 20k sqft location in Portland that will have it. If not they can get it

2 Likes

All of these other options are definitely viable for keeping yourself going short term… but I currently have Access to 2 sigma accounts As well as a fisher scientific account Through my company as well as a JV we are a part of and it is not comparable.

@Benz3ne if you’re trying to do some deeper synthetic shit I can’t overhype how useful an actual sigma account is, they have whatever you need. Setting up the account is a hassle but worth it 500x.

1 Like

local college science department can usually get you what you need.

Yeah totally. @thesk8nmidget I’ve been “borrowing” reagents from my univ. lab for a while but they don’t like that type of stuff. Especially with it being used for drug research.

And @CO_Chromatography I tried with fisher but got shut down because hemp lol. Maybe sigma is easier idk.

Also will I be placed on some watch list for buying tens or hundreds of kilos of potentially restricted stuff?

1 Like

I have been using Sigma Aldrich Fluka (SAF) for many years. They are the gold standard for chemicals. They are completely reliable, professional and shipping is rapid and effective. Tons of information about specific chemical properties can can be found on the website. They will probably be one of the most expensive sources. To use them for regulated materials like pentane, one will need to send them a copy of a business license or some sort of government documentation.

My second goto is usually VWR, but Fisher is very similar. They are normally cheaper than SAF and I look to them for supplies. Simple things don’t need documentation, but it’s the same as SAF for anything deemed regulatable by the government.

In my pharma research we probably had 80% of our chemicals from SAF, 15-18% from VWR/Fisher with the rest “others.”

Money was not an issue and so we went with quality, reliability and convenience. There are lots of other companies out there, some good, some not so much and I make no comment on them.

I hope this helps

1 Like

Yes you will be placed on a watchlist if you’re buying restricted chemicals, but if you’re legit it shouldn’t matter.

1 Like

you can always do the china/india routes. Get some sample sizes from across seas and verify/purify them yourself, sometimes they’re good to use as is. Or, develop a reagent prep in house and just buy the starting materials. Always cheaper that way, plus you get fresh reagents that you know are high quality - in fact many reagents are best prepped in house rather than sourced due to poor stability. Anyone can see that its inconvenient to do that for just a few grams of a reagent you may not even use in the long run, but many chemists do this especially in grad school.

Might I suggest also Caymen chemical?

1 Like

Yeah I’ve heard of Caymen. Arent they just for biochem? Proteins and such

We’ve gotten some good analytical standards from them. They have CBND and various THC isomers, which i figure you might be interested in.

2 Likes

Huh yeah for sure

1 Like

We set up a Fisher account no problem, they just wanted copies of our state license. I got my sigma account shut down a few years ago buying tissue culture supplies but it sounds like their stance has changed recently. FYI, they all pass along info to DEA about anything even remotely non-standard. IME their stance is “we’ll sell you the stuff and tell DEA that we did. If they want to arrest you that’s up to them”

4 Likes

We had an account with fisher and did business for years and they just recently told us they won’t do business with mmj anymore. Use vwr regularly without any issues at all.

1 Like

Just registered w vwr. thanks

1 Like